Trailer towing question class 6 truck without CDL

/ Trailer towing question class 6 truck without CDL #1  

MTGreen

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 5220, Ford 1720, Deere Progator 2030
Gvwr is gross vehicle weight which is max with no trailer versus gcwr which is gross combined max weight truck + trailer.
My understanding was that per the feds you need a CDL if your gvwr is more than 26k or if the gvwr of your truck + the gvwr of your more than 10k trailer exceeds 26k (with certain exceptions or requirements like RV, hazmat, etc.).
The way I read it, you can have a 26k truck with a 10k trailer for a combined gcwr of 36k without needing a CDL. Does anyone have any experience with enforcement issues living in this sort of gray area with a 10k trailer and gcwr 26-36k?

/ Trailer towing question class 6 truck without CDL #2  
I think it depends on your state. There's intrastate and interstate. One not crossing state lines which is where the federal law applies the most. Then There's where you don't cross state lines and don't use the interstates. Yes, gray area for sure! Sometimes you just need DOT numbers as long as not for hire and you're acting in a private carrier. You may need a medical card at least. The rules can get you lost. In MD, GCVW of over 26k you need CDL or a tractor and any trailer puts you into a CDL. RV's can require an endorsement and testing. Big can of worms! That's why hot shoters were using 3500 with 10k trailers to avoid a lot of the licensing issues!

Last edited:
   / Trailer towing question class 6 truck without CDL #3  
In Florida the GCVW must be under 26,001 pounds to be able to skip on the CDL. They look at the combination of the truck plus the trailer plus the load. I have been DOTed several times and since my truck gross is 11,400 and the de-rated trailer is 14,500 they never have given me a problem. Also you must keep the weight under the rating of each axle and each tire.

Any combination over 26,001 will require a CDL.

/ Trailer towing question class 6 truck without CDL #4  
Single vehicle or combined, if the weight is over 26,001 you are required CDL.
Some states will get you even with an empty trailer if they are rated over a combined weight of 26,000. Some states have exemptions as long as you're staying in that state.

/ Trailer towing question class 6 truck without CDL #5  
over 26,000 gotta be CDL in all states I been thru. They told me I gotta have my CDL to pull my dump trailer behind my Explorer! Trailer is rated at 14,000! -- AND yes I been stopped many times with it! Whipped out my CDL , pissed off cops cause I had one and went on my way. Its best to not take chances when you are in the grey area of weight range!

/ Trailer towing question class 6 truck without CDL #6  
I think it depends on your state. There's intrastate and interstate. One not crossing state lines which is where the federal law applies the most. Then There's where you don't cross state lines and don't use the interstates. Yes, gray area for sure! Sometimes you just need DOT numbers as long as not for hire and you're acting in a private carrier. You may need a medical card at least. The rules can get you lost. In MD, GCVW of over 26k you need CDL or a tractor and any trailer puts you into a CDL. RV's can require an endorsement and testing. Big can of worms! That's why hot shoters were using 3500 with 10k trailers to avoid a lot of the licensing issues!
Md issues non-CDL class A and B licenses.You cant haul your race car across state lines (trophies and prize money makes it commercial use) but you can haul a load of stuff to/from for personal use.

/ Trailer towing question class 6 truck without CDL #7  
About 15 years ago I bought a drag car four states away and rented the largest flatbed I could find which was overkill, but I did it.
An argument ensued here with friends saying I needed a CDL license to drive it. To settle argument I called state police who said if I can rent it I can drive it.