Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,831  
Very nice setup you have !
One thing for sure there’s nothing cheap about wood heat .

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,832  
I guess if you factor in your time, then no, it's not cheap overall. However the equipment I use to move the wood, my splitter, my main saw, and the wood stove in total cost me say about $5000. I own the land so I'm paying taxes on the trees regardless. Burning wood allows me to only use say 300 gallons of fuel oil a winter, and 50% of that probably goes to making hot water. The splitter I bought used, same with the loader, & the chainsaw I bought in the 90's. All have easily paid for themselves.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,833  
I guess if you factor in your time, then no, it's not cheap overall. However the equipment I use to move the wood, my splitter, my main saw, and the wood stove in total cost me say about $5000. I own the land so I'm paying taxes on the trees regardless. Burning wood allows me to only use say 300 gallons of fuel oil a winter, and 50% of that probably goes to making hot water. The splitter I bought used, same with the loader, & the chainsaw I bought in the 90's. All have easily paid for themselves.
I agree. If my time is considered a cost then no. But I am retired and the time I spend in the woods making firewood I consider quality time for my mental well being. Friends I have drive to the gym to work out all the time. Firewood is good or me mentally and physically.
My tractor I use for year round jobs as well. Mowing, brush mowing, snow plowing, hiring out to neighbours. Other equipment paid for long ago. And I heat almost entirely with wood.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,834  
Mud season is a good time for me to work up our firewood. So yesterday I started blocking up the wood I pulled out last fall. This will be 2024/25 firewood.

View attachment 790919

I used to cut off the pile but I am not as good at climbing on piles and cutting with blocks rolling around my feet as I was. This way is slower but easier on my back.

View attachment 790920

Ran out of gas - this is where I carry the saw gas and bar oil.

View attachment 790921

Second tank same as the first.

View attachment 790922

Two tanks was enough. I can say I got started. Spitting snow again now.

View attachment 790923

gg
Nice job, but now you have a lot of rounds to pick up off the ground, all that bending over picking them up is what kills my back.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,835  
I agree. If my time is considered a cost then no. But I am retired and the time I spend in the woods making firewood I consider quality time for my mental well being. Friends I have drive to the gym to work out all the time. Firewood is good or me mentally and physically.
My tractor I use for year round jobs as well. Mowing, brush mowing, snow plowing, hiring out to neighbours. Other equipment paid for long ago. And I heat almost entirely with wood.
Yes, I find all sorts of things to keep this busy all year long.
KIMG7900.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,836  
One thing for sure there’s nothing cheap about wood heat .
I don't agree with that. Everything I have to work with wood (except the woodstove) can be sold and I'd get back at least 80% of what I paid for it.

My equipment has "made me" thousands of dollars doing custom work, besides being used for MY firewood, and I've saved many thousands of dollars burning wood in my home rather than buying propane.

Best part is, we MUCH prefer wood heat to other ways of heating the house, it's really nice.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,837  
Nice job, but now you have a lot of rounds to pick up off the ground, all that bending over picking them up is what kills my back.

SR
I bought a couple sets of these, game changer on the picking up rounds. So much easier since you don't have to bend down as far.
1679839478308.png

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,838  
I bought a couple sets of these, game changer on the picking up rounds. So much easier since you don't have to bend down as far.
View attachment 790959
Those would help, but better yet, just don't cut them on/over the ground in the first place, then you don't have to bend over.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,839  
Mud season is a good time for me to work up our firewood. So yesterday I started blocking up the wood I pulled out last fall. This will be 2024/25 firewood.

View attachment 790919

I used to cut off the pile but I am not as good at climbing on piles and cutting with blocks rolling around my feet as I was. This way is slower but easier on my back.

View attachment 790920

Ran out of gas - this is where I carry the saw gas and bar oil.

View attachment 790921

Second tank same as the first.

View attachment 790922

Two tanks was enough. I can say I got started. Spitting snow again now.

View attachment 790923

gg
Nice job. I need to get me one of those grapple things.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,840  

SR

That's the thing - I don't pick them up. I set my bucket on the ground at the base of the pile and roll/guide the blocks down the pile and into the bucket. Then lift a bucket full of blocks to splitter height.

gg

Last edited: