Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,551  
About 1000 pounds each of Oak log & stump log.JPEGstump.JPEG. Good to have heavy iron for a task.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,552  
Looks like a nice back hoe hosspuller.

I started cutting an over mature fir stand the other day. Took a couple pics yesterday. This tree died last summer but still has good wood.

23_1_19-1.JPG

Most fir over 60 years old have root/stump rot in our wood lot. I cut back the butt to find good wood then cut it into log lengths.

23_1_19-2.JPG

This stand is adjacent to the landing so small hitches work fine as far as efficiency goes.

23_1_19-3.JPG

A humble start.

23_1_19-4.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,553  
That tree is worth a lot as a scratching post. Will save a lot of fences from being stretched. The cattle will really enjoy it.
Yes, the cattle now have lots of edges to polish up. I didn't get a picture of it, but this guy was pushing on the stump and had the whole thing rocking back and forth. True story, but I have to disclose that the stump is high centered, I can spin it around with my tractor. I had some people in buying hay and they were amazed at how strong the bull was. I didn't tell them the stump was high centered. Stump's size perspective with the animals next to it.
Bull and stump2.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,554  
Very pretty to look at - not so nice to work in

gg
I wish the climate was the same as it use to be which was colder. The last 10 years our weather here in east coast Canada has been changing. Our winters instead of starting in November, now starts late December and runs later in spring. Winter seems to have shifted at least a month later and is warmer. Instead of cold and snow, we now we get snow, then rain, then freezing which is hard on wildlife when they get wet, creates too much ice, freezing rain is worse to work in than cold and snow removal is alot harder with heavy wet snow. Give me dry, cold weather with snow any day.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,555  
I wish the climate was the same as it use to be which was colder. The last 10 years our weather here in east coast Canada has been changing. Our winters instead of starting in November, now starts late December and runs later in spring. Winter seems to have shifted at least a month later and is warmer. Instead of cold and snow, we now we get snow, then rain, then freezing which is hard on wildlife when they get wet, creates too much ice, freezing rain is worse to work in than cold and snow removal is alot harder with heavy wet snow. Give me dry, cold weather with snow any day.
We're getting the same crap on the west coast. It's the 3rd week of January and almost all of our snow is gone. For the last 3 weeks or more we've had freezing rain and a few sprinkles of snow. Our driveway was iced so bad I couldn't drive on it for over a week. I eventually had to sand the whole thing (1.5 Km). Last year at this time I was plowing and blowing snow. I miss that. :(

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,556  
We're getting the same crap on the west coast. It's the 3rd week of January and almost all of our snow is gone. For the last 3 weeks or more we've had freezing rain and a few sprinkles of snow. Our driveway was iced so bad I couldn't drive on it for over a week. I eventually had to sand the whole thing (1.5 Km). Last year at this time I was plowing and blowing snow. I miss that. :(
Yes it is really strange. I don't think I have seen a winter like this. I spent a couple of weeks up your way. Well actually on Pinantan Lake. We did a siding job for a friend of my brothers. Beautiful area. That was in 1981 maybe 1982. I was 17 years old. Man that is a long time ago.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,557  
We got just our 3rd 6 inch snow fall since Thanksgiving 2 of which melted with the rainy mild Dec/Jan weather.
This is the first snow that has lasted more than a day before starting to melt.
Still too wet in our woods to consider logging.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,558  
We got just our 3rd 6 inch snow fall since Thanksgiving 2 of which melted with the rainy mild Dec/Jan weather.
This is the first snow that has lasted more than a day before starting to melt.
Still too wet in our woods to consider logging.
Same here. I have not been able to get out in the woods much with my tractor this winter. Fortunately, we did get enough of a freeze after the Dec 23 windstorm that I was able to get out with it and clear the trails - what a tangled mess. Mostly white pines.

Things did get solid enough that I could go out in our UTV to finish up the crop tree release. (That was exactly why I bought the used Honda Pioneer 520 recently - wanted a small side-by-side to haul gear with when conditions did not allow a tractor out on the trails.) The crop tree release area looks a bit like a bomb went off, since I have not been winching out logs as I did the thinning.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,559  
Same here. I have not been able to get out in the woods much with my tractor this winter. Fortunately, we did get enough of a freeze after the Dec 23 windstorm that I was able to get out with it and clear the trails - what a tangled mess. Mostly white pines.

Things did get solid enough that I could go out in our UTV to finish up the crop tree release. (That was exactly why I bought the used Honda Pioneer 520 recently - wanted a small side-by-side to haul gear with when conditions did not allow a tractor out on the trails.) The crop tree release area looks a bit like a bomb went off, since I have not been winching out logs as I did the thinning.
Same here. I can only use my Honda Forman ATV so I have my bike decked out for logging and ready to go. Saws on the front rack, tools, wedges, hooks in the cargo box and gas and oil on the passenger foot rest area. The Honda allowed me to at least get something done despite the unfrozen ground. The wife on the other hand.... well I haven't found a work around for that yet. Let me know if you find a fix for that. lol

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,560  
Looks like a nice back hoe hosspuller.

I started cutting an over mature fir stand the other day. Took a couple pics yesterday. This tree died last summer but still has good wood.

View attachment 779947

Most fir over 60 years old have root/stump rot in our wood lot. I cut back the butt to find good wood then cut it into log lengths.

View attachment 779948

This stand is adjacent to the landing so small hitches work fine as far as efficiency goes.

View attachment 779949

A humble start.

View attachment 779950

gg
Nice neat job. Nice clean wood.