Tractor related , uses electricity . What is wrong with this picture ?

/ Tractor related , uses electricity . What is wrong with this picture ? #1  

buickanddeere

Tractor
Deere, several
Who can explain what is going on here ?

Attachments

• 10F0B5D9-69B1-4065-8514-4498068409F8.png
    10F0B5D9-69B1-4065-8514-4498068409F8.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 399
   / Tractor related , uses electricity . What is wrong with this picture ? #2  
Who can explain what is going on here ?

I saw that on another thread and scratched my head...
...several possibilities came to mind:

- They're using it run an alternator to charge the battery of their electric car. :confused2:
- The pulley is turned by an electric motor and batteries in the trunk: A cheap way to convert their car from gas to electric.
- It's Fred Flintstone and his feet got sore, so he installed a bicycle pedal crank and chain drive.

/ Tractor related , uses electricity . What is wrong with this picture ? #3  
Salt spreader...

/ Tractor related , uses electricity . What is wrong with this picture ? #4  
Could be some sort of instrumentation for measuring something. It's common to see test cars on the road in the Detroit area.

/ Tractor related , uses electricity . What is wrong with this picture ? #5  
It appears that somebody put a lot of effort into trying to make a perpetual motion machine out of an electric car that makes its own electricity. IMO a stupid idea paired with a poorly executed concept. One good pothole would snap that belt, and then a fully fielded alternator would be hanging out behind the right rear tire in water/saltwater spray. Add some high current from a gigantic battery on board and things could get interesting. I wonder how this is wired in?

One trend that I am expecting is the solar generating film adhered to the roof and hoods of electric/hybrid cars. This I could see as a minor advantage, mostly when parked outside of a charge location.

/ Tractor related , uses electricity . What is wrong with this picture ? #6  
Could be some sort of instrumentation for measuring something. It's common to see test cars on the road in the Detroit area.

Heck, we see many test vehicles on the west side due to the test facilities at the Navistar (old Studebaker) proving grounds. They're driving up and down SR2 quit a bit. Cars, trucks, etc... with all kinds of test equipment on them, weights, trailing wheels measuring who knows what.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 9B70EF1B-C05B-4FB8-8DAF-A1E5B0AAA583.jpg
    9B70EF1B-C05B-4FB8-8DAF-A1E5B0AAA583.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 453
   / Tractor related , uses electricity . What is wrong with this picture ? #7  
Heck, we see many test vehicles on the west side due to the test facilities at the Navistar (old Studebaker) proving grounds. They're driving up and down SR2 quit a bit. Cars, trucks, etc... with all kinds of test equipment on them, weights, trailing wheels measuring who knows what.

Hey, I used to work there! And now I just ride mountain bikes there. Pretty cool place with a lot of history.

/ Tractor related , uses electricity . What is wrong with this picture ? #8  
In the old days they used to hook up a trailer behind the car and it would have a big alternator in the trailer hooked up to big resistant load and they could dial in the load on the vehicle to simulate going up hills or heavy loads. Not sure but my guess is something similar only now more compact package. You have to drive a long way to find a big hill in Detroit!

/ Tractor related , uses electricity . What is wrong with this picture ? #9  
IIRC, the suspection was that it gets flat towed behind a RV (which requires that the key be left on) and this was a way to charge the battery.
It's not a big enough alternator to create a significant load on the engine.

Aaron Z

/ Tractor related , uses electricity . What is wrong with this picture ? #10  
The guy always missed the old generator on the bicycle wheel.

I once tried running a portable battery operated radio off that, not knowing the difference between AC and DC.