Mowing Toro Groundsmaster 3280-D - New Owner

/ Toro Groundsmaster 3280-D - New Owner #1  

OhioRiver

Tractor
Toro Groundsmaster 3280-D
I purchased a Toro Groundsmaster 3280-D from a local golf course this spring. My Groundsmaster has 2,600 hours on it. The Kubota 3-cylinder diesel engine and a 72" mowing deck. The engine runs great, but I noticed it moves slow and speed is not consistent. Going up some slight inclines can slow it to a crawl. I imagine it has something to do with the hydraulics. I checked the hydraulic fluid level, it registers mid-way between the upper and lower levels on the dipstick. I printed the factory service manual from Toro, I do not have a manual for the Kubota diesel. Prior to this I have only run zero turns. I have a 3 1/2 acre front yard to mow with some incline to it.

My questions are:

What can I check/repair to get a consistent speed out of the mower? I noticed when moving backwards, the unit goes faster.

How do I drain the hydraulic fluid? The manual says to remove the filter, but doesn't mention any drain plugs. Does it just drain itself out from the filter hole?

Diesel engines are new to me, but I am familiar with gas engines. Are there any special procedures in doing a diesel oil change? Is it just drain oil, replace oil filter, fill with new oil?

Any tips for maintenance? If I can't get it to speed up a little more/maintain its speed, I may sell it and replace with a zero turn.

Attachments

• Lawnmower.jpg
    Lawnmower.jpg
    693.5 KB · Views: 265
   / Toro Groundsmaster 3280-D - New Owner #2  
The wrong type of hydraulic fluid can do that. I had it happen with a Case 446 garden tractor that was made to use motor oil for the hydraulic motor. It had hydraulic fluid in it and would not go up hill after the fluid warmed up.

I don't know the differences between my 328D and your 3280D. My OP Manual says "The front axle housing acts as the reservoir for the system. The transmission and axle housing are shipped from the factory with approximately 5 quarts (4.7 l) of high quality hydraulic fluid."

I recommend that you check and adjust for worn linkage on the Traction Control Rod.

Let us know what happens.

/ Toro Groundsmaster 3280-D - New Owner
Thanks for the advice, I was hoping to hear from you. I have been browsing that ridiculously long thread from years ago that just keeps going. I'm really impressed with the modifications you've done to your 328-D. I will crack open the manual and read about the traction control rod. This morning I was taking a look at the linkage that connects the pedal to the hydraulics.

/ Toro Groundsmaster 3280-D - New Owner #4  
--------------------------------------

My questions are:

----------------------------

How do I drain the hydraulic fluid? The manual says to remove the filter, but doesn't mention any drain plugs. Does it just drain itself out from the filter hole?
It should have a drain plug.

Diesel engines are new to me, but I am familiar with gas engines. Are there any special procedures in doing a diesel oil change? Is it just drain oil, replace oil filter, fill with new oil?

Yes, But it has to be API Classification C, diesel engine oil.

/ Toro Groundsmaster 3280-D - New Owner
Thanks for the advice. I changed the hydraulic oil and engine oil. Today I removed a stopper bolt that limited the forward movement of the pedal, which greatly increased the speed I could mow at. I may end up putting a shorter stop bolt in place to slow it down a bit. This thing can really move now, won't be trading it in for a zero turn.