TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #13,181  
I tried it with my CTL to save from tracking the trackhoe over there but that was unsuccessful. I probably could have lifted the front of the dozer with the blade and stuck some logs under the tracks with the skid loader but I was afraid I was going to get it stuck to. It took the 320 about 30 seconds to pull it out. View attachment 786379
Big stuff requires other big stuff.
The logging firm I worked for had 3 skidders.
Not that we hardly used the 3 at any one time but the big Tiger Cat was used to rescue the smaller Clark and JD.
20 ton winch was mostly all we needed.
We once rented a Cat D6 just to see how a dozer would do.
I recall the dozer skidding about 100 feet sideways on an icy terrain and that was the end of that experiment.
Plus it was kind of slow.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #13,182  
NEVER get your biggest piece of equipment anywhere near where you can get it stuck! (if you wonder whether the ground is too soft it probably is!)

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #13,183  
NEVER get your biggest piece of equipment anywhere near where you can get it stuck! (if you wonder whether the ground is too soft it probably is!)
Thing is, you get away with it just enough times to make you try that "one more time".

Last time I sunk my dozer, I went home and got my 25K winch and winched it out.

SR

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #13,184  
I pulled an excavator out using a hand winch anchored to my truck (which was on solid ground). Inch by inch... (back and across a ditch that I'd just crossed, at a point that I'd just widened and deepened!) My Kioti (piloted by my wife) pulled out a small excavator from a minor "stuck."

My Kioti and larger excavators I rent stay well clear of soft spots.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #13,185  
I pulled an excavator out using a hand winch anchored to my truck (which was on solid ground). Inch by inch... (back and across a ditch that I'd just crossed, at a point that I'd just widened and deepened!) My Kioti (piloted by my wife) pulled out a small excavator from a minor "stuck."

My Kioti and larger excavators I rent stay well clear of soft spots.

I’d drive my 320 straight over that spot the sunk the dozer. The trackhoe has wider and longer tracks than the dozer and the trackhoe can recover itself. When the dozer sinks it’s just done but the trackhoe can pull itself out.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #13,186  
Thing is, you get away with it just enough times to make you try that "one more time".

Last time I sunk my dozer, I went home and got my 25K winch and winched it out.

SR

I knew it was soft and getting stuck was a possibility. But that area has poor drainage and I was trying to shape it so it will drain better. I got quite a bit done before it got stuck.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #13,188  
I’d drive my 320 straight over that spot the sunk the dozer. The trackhoe has wider and longer tracks than the dozer and the trackhoe can recover itself. When the dozer sinks it’s just done but the trackhoe can pull itself out.
I once got my ATV stuck while riding in a track made by an excavator. I had to grab a nearby skidder to rescue me. Granted it had about 350 lbs of conservation mix stacked on the front and rear racks but it was still embarrassing... and took me years to live down. :D

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #13,189  
Embarrassment is getting your tractor stuck off the edge of your driveway! Almost at the exact location where the B7800 is in my avatar. No ballast on the rear. I believe I was trying to fetch a pallet of wood. Not too long after I'd gotten the Kioti. Had forks on the front, which I can inform people, are totally worthless for getting un-stuck with: I pushed all four feet of them down into the ground! Another truck+manual winch job...

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #13,190  
Embarrassment is getting your tractor stuck off the edge of your driveway! Almost at the exact location where the B7800 is in my avatar. No ballast on the rear. I believe I was trying to fetch a pallet of wood. Not too long after I'd gotten the Kioti. Had forks on the front, which I can inform people, are totally worthless for getting un-stuck with: I pushed all four feet of them down into the ground! Another truck+manual winch job...
I feel your pain. I buried my tractor in the snow by skillfully driving off the side of my driveway ditch and it buried all the way to the frame. Couldn't push myself out with the FEL bucket. Had to go back and get my truck, which I also buried to the frame in my own driveway. After much chaos and mayhem, and 2 separate neighbors, I finally got it all out and back up to the house. Nothing to show for almost an entire day's work, except for a broken truck and a front tractor tire pulled off the rim.

Good times.