TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #13,031  
I just ordered my Marlin 1895 SBL .45-70 from Academy Sports, now the waiting game. It should arrive mid-week, in time for me to take it to the deer lease next week. The T-Rex season doesn't open until Oct. 31st, but I'll be ready!:)

View attachment 876584

:p
Wish I knew you were in the market. I just sold my late brother's 45/70 SBL with maybe 20 rounds down the tube for $600. It's was a quick sale for my sister in law. It was also a remlin but basically a new rifle and in these days, someone got a good deal

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #13,032  
Just ordered some 50gr ammo from pilgrim ammo. Kinda pricy but intrigued by a 50 gr bullet doing around 2k fps.

I know, rounds like critical defense and others are time tested but I like to try things out.

Besides, my wife will just spend the money at Walmart

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #13,033  
Had cast 300 boolits last week and for my two 44 Special revolvers. Then Finished reloading all 300 of them this week.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #13,034  
With the way things are headed "Molon Labe" may become a reality in the not too distant future.

And what do we do when they come after our diesel, farms, and homesteads?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #13,035  
"From my cold dead fingers"

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #13,036  
I just ordered my Marlin 1895 SBL .45-70 from Academy Sports, now the waiting game. It should arrive mid-week, in time for me to take it to the deer lease next week. The T-Rex season doesn't open until Oct. 31st, but I'll be ready!:)

I just picked up my 1895 and have 2 boxes of Hornady Leverrevolution 325gr. It won't be my go-to load, but it was all I could find and I'll save the brass for reloading. I'll ultimately load either 250 or 300gr Hornady XTP bullets. I have a nice Nikon Monarch African 1-4 x 20 scope in Level-lock rings that I'll put on it and I have an extra Montana sling laying around.

Heading to the deer lease this weekend and hope to smack a hog or two with it.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #13,037  
I got the T-Rex rifle dialed in. One thing of significant note is that the trigger is TERRIBLE! I'll be working on that, or most likely drop in a Wild West Gun or Ranger Point after market trigger. I'm surprised Ruger/Marlin didn't improve the trigger from the original design.

Another note, those new Garmin chronograph's are awesome.
45-70.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #13,038  
I got the T-Rex rifle dialed in. One thing of significant note is that the trigger is TERRIBLE! I'll be working on that, or most likely drop in a Wild West Gun or Ranger Point after market trigger. I'm surprised Ruger/Marlin didn't improve the trigger from the original design.

Another note, those new Garmin chronograph's are awesome.
View attachment 877765
I've got to ask, what range do you have the rifle ranged in at with the scope?

I ask because I really never felt the need to push a 45-70 in that type of gun out past 125 yards. I find that a large ghost ring with front sight works pretty well on my Marlin 45-70 where I can range the distance on a 8"x11" piece of paper between 50 - 125 yards with irons pretty well, without wearing glasses.

First reason why I got the 45-70 was possible brown bears out west for defensive reasons. In the eastern woods where longer shots can be rare, I consider it a great brush round in the woods where a scope really isn't needed.

I've read that the 45-70 can be pushed out much further, just didn't feel comfortable with my own skill to take longer than 150 yards with that round. Considering you may have more open longer shots in Texas, at what range do you feel comfortable taking game with it?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #13,039  
My go-to deer hunting rifle is a scoped Ruger 77/44. I always used factory 44 mag rounds. The gun liked "American Eagle" best, so that's what I've been using. Specs show 1230fps (from a revolver barrel I'm sure) Love it! Iowa deer hunting allows straight walled/pistol rounds, as does my ex hunting state - Indiana. My Indiana woods had max range shot of about 75 yards. My Iowa shots will now be 100 - 125 yards. I was considering getting a new rifle, in 350 Legend. Too small. 400 Legend? Can't find much ammo yet, and I really don't want/need another gun and caliber.

I reload, but never for the hunting loads. I have several hundred empty 44 mag cases. I'm going to load up some "more robust" 44 loads. 240gr hollow point bullets. Leaning towards using H110 or 'Lil Gun. Anyone have a preferred recipe for a hot 44 mag load? ~1500fps+?

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #13,040  
I've got to ask, what range do you have the rifle ranged in at with the scope?

I ask because I really never felt the need to push a 45-70 in that type of gun out past 125 yards. I find that a large ghost ring with front sight works pretty well on my Marlin 45-70 where I can range the distance on a 8"x11" piece of paper between 50 - 125 yards with irons pretty well, without wearing glasses.

First reason why I got the 45-70 was possible brown bears out west for defensive reasons. In the eastern woods where longer shots can be rare, I consider it a great brush round in the woods where a scope really isn't needed.

I've read that the 45-70 can be pushed out much further, just didn't feel comfortable with my own skill to take longer than 150 yards with that round. Considering you may have more open longer shots in Texas, at what range do you feel comfortable taking game with it?
I zeroed it at 125 yards. The reason is that's the distance to the closest shade tree at the shooting range pasture and it was 101 degrees yesterday afternoon. :) This gun will be used for pigs at distances from 10 to 150 yards. For shooting pigs at feeders, most of those are 85 to 100 yards.

I agree that open sights would be perfectly acceptable at these distances too. I happened to have the 1-4 scope laying around after I upgraded my scope on my .375 H&H. I've always liked this scope and was looking for a new home for it, so figured I'd try it on the .45-70. It has a German #4 reticle and is very quick acquiring on running game.

I also have a Marlin 1894 lever in .44 mag. That rifle has a Skinner sight peep sight that takes screw in apertures. With the aperture removed, the rear sight is like a ghost ring and great for hunting heavy cover. When you screw in the aperture, you can shoot pretty accurately at 100- 150 yards. What's really slick is that skinner makes a piece that fits into the original sight dovetail that will hold the aperture when it's not being used. It's entirely likely that I'll go with the same set up on the .45-70.