TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,011  
Went shooting today. This is part of my fug around and find out kit. Only went through about 500 rds but it's fun...as we all know.

Also ordered some bulk 9mm from fenix ammo here in MI. 25% off, doesn't matter on quantity
View attachment 809407
You can try Target sports usa for ammo and if you join ammo+ for $95. a year its 8% off the price and free shipping on any size order worth it if you shoot a lot....

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,012  
Stopped at reloading shop today at lunch. Plenty of primers, if you wanted to pay $180/1000 for match primers. Plenty of most powders, from $60-90/pound. I stopped in to see if they had some Trailboss, and probably would have paid $50/9 oz can if they had it, but they said Trailboss was basically non-existent.

I was going to roll up some 308 Subsonics, with 200gr cast PC bullets and Trailboss; and if those shot ok, I would maybe sell the 300 Blk...

They did have a Henry Big Boy brass in 357mag/38 for $975; but I don't want brass (looks great, but is about 1 pound heavier then steel), an octagonal barrel, and it didn't have side loading gate.

I did pick up some Winchester-41 SRMPs (well, there is debate if they are magnum or not, but Nato SRPs) at Academy a few weeks ago, at $85/1000. They seem to have H335, CFE Pistol, CFE 223, and H110, at like $39-49/pound.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,013  
300 BO is the longest living fail round ever IMHO..
You lost me right there ;)

The caliber was sold as being quiet, which it can be, but it's no different than shooting a .45 ACP IMO.

No matter what type of bullet you try, you can't manipulate speed vs weight.

Just go supersonic and deal with the supersonic crack with a can on it.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,014  

The caliber was sold as being quiet, which it can be, but it's no different than shooting a .45 ACP IMO.

Maybe so, but I’ve killed stuff with a .45.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,015  

It's funny, a supersonic 300blk is louder out of a 16" AR than a full power supersonic 308 out of an 18" bolt gun, and a heck of a lot more finicky. Now, with subs, the 300 Blk with a can is very quiet; just having trouble finding consistency. Now, vs 45 ACP, at point blank, you aren't wrong, 230grs at 1000 fps is same same, weather is 357mag, 300blk, 45 acp, or 300WM. As you move out to 100 yards, I think you're going to be dealing with 800 fps vs. 950 fps, with that softball of a 45 acp looses velocity vs a somewhat aerodynamic 308 projectils. That said, a 45acp is a lot less picky.

Edit: I will add, if you shoot 300Blk, and only buy factory ammo, you're crazy. It's insane what they want for that stuff, and if you're paying $2-2.50/pull, and not shooting suppressed, what possible purpose does it have? Heck, 147gr FMJ supers are more than 308 150gr hunting ammo.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,016  
Some guns are interesting, some are fun too shoot, and some are works of art and engineering genius. While my semi-auto .22LR rifle is low tech and maybe boring to some I find it fun. And much cheapper to shoot than the AR15 or Tavor. I really like my 1911 but it's no good for CC, so I have a .40 S&W Shield for that. Not a fun gun but effective. I used to have a H&K P7M8; what a great gun to shoot and small enough for CC. It was 9mm and I want more punch for self defense. I also like my Tokarev; fun to shoot, reasonable for CC (but not as good as the S&W) and I think it'd be as effective for stopping power as the .40 S&W.

Now my friend has a AR15 (from an 80%) in 9mm with a 90 round drum mag. NOw that is fun to shoot but impracticle and goes thru ammo fast.

My point is no one gun is great for everything, and I have tried some I'd rather not shoot at all.
Compromise is sometime necessary.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,018  
It's funny, a supersonic 300blk is louder out of a 16" AR than a full power supersonic 308 out of an 18" bolt gun, and a heck of a lot more finicky. Now, with subs, the 300 Blk with a can is very quiet; just having trouble finding consistency. Now, vs 45 ACP, at point blank, you aren't wrong, 230grs at 1000 fps is same same, weather is 357mag, 300blk, 45 acp, or 300WM. As you move out to 100 yards, I think you're going to be dealing with 800 fps vs. 950 fps, with that softball of a 45 acp looses velocity vs a somewhat aerodynamic 308 projectils.
I don't disagree with you, just that after doing my own "redneck" testing, I would not hunt a 4 legged animal with a subsonic 300 blackout.

End of the day, for civilian use, I just don't see the squeeze being worth the juice.

That said, the round has great potential for certain QCQ combat situations, but for my use, I just see the round being a waste.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #12,020  
I don't disagree with you, just that after doing my own "redneck" testing, I would not hunt a 4 legged animal with a subsonic 300 blackout.

End of the day, for civilian use, I just don't see the squeeze being worth the juice.

That said, the round has great potential for certain QCQ combat situations, but for my use, I just see the round being a waste.
I dropped a smallish blacktail from a blind at 75 yards with a suppressed 300 Blackout. I loaded up the Lehigh .308 Maximum Expansion® 194gr Subsonic Bullet and it dropped that deer like a sack of potatoes. Supposedly they will expand down to 750 feet per second. Similar to hunting with a handgun I suppose.

Without using a bullet designed to expand at subsonic speeds there is no way I would shoot an animal with a subsonic blackout although I suppose some kind of hard-cast lead would work fine - I killed a bear at 40 yards with a hard-cast 44 RM and that bullet penetrated the neck vertebrae and exited. As long as shot placement is good a well penetrating bullet will work fine.

Even with a bullet designed to expand subsonic, my range would be under 100 yards due to the massive bullet drop. Energy and velocity seems to be decent though.

When zeroed at 85 yards I was +/- 2 inches to 100 yards. MV at 0 was 1100 and Energy was 521 ft/lbs

14 inches of drop at 150 (4509 ft lbs - 1023 fps)
23 inches at 175 (445 ft/lbs - 1012 fps)
34 inches at 200 (433 ft/lbs - 1000 fps)
44 inches at 220 426 ft/lbs - 995 fps)

With that kind of drop, every foot of distance significantly impacts POI once you get past 150.