TN75A - blown starter circuit fuse

/ TN75A - blown starter circuit fuse #1  

NickJP

Tractor
New Holland TN75A
Hi - new to the forum - I have a 2006 TN75A 4WD tractor that intermittently blows the 5 A starter relay fuse. This occurs only when tractor has been running for a while and is up to operating temp and when trying to restart within 10 to 30 minutes after shut down. If I wait for the engine to cool down it will restart without issue. This issue first occurred last summer and then the issue went away (my favorite fix). Unfortunately the issue resurfaced recently. I was wondering if anyone had a similar issue and if so I would appreciate any ideas or input on how to resolve it. My best guess is the starter solenoid. Thank you in advance for any input you can offer.

/ TN75A - blown starter circuit fuse #2  
Hi - new to the forum - I have a 2006 TN75A 4WD tractor that intermittently blows the 5 A starter relay fuse. This occurs only when tractor has been running for a while and is up to operating temp and when trying to restart within 10 to 30 minutes after shut down. If I wait for the engine to cool down it will restart without issue. This issue first occurred last summer and then the issue went away (my favorite fix). Unfortunately the issue resurfaced recently. I was wondering if anyone had a similar issue and if so I would appreciate any ideas or input on how to resolve it. My best guess is the starter solenoid. Thank you in advance for any input you can offer.
Mine to and that's why it should be confirmed or eliminated before making other guesses. How many times have you tested amp draw of solenoid since the problem began? How did it compare to fuse rating when cold____when hot____?

/ TN75A - blown starter circuit fuse #3  
You could try measuring the coil resistance in the starter solenoid when it's cold and when it's hot. You may have a heat related intermittent short in there.

/ TN75A - blown starter circuit fuse
Mine to and that's why it should be confirmed or eliminated before making other guesses. How many times have you tested amp draw of solenoid since the problem began? How did it compare to fuse rating when cold____when hot____?
Thanks for the input. I have not measured current draw of the solenoid yet. I did do a test to rule out the starter switch. Pulled wire off solenoid when engine was hot and connected it to a test lamp; turned key several times - light activated with no fuse issues. I then reconnected the wire to the solenoid and tried to start and fuse popped.

/ TN75A - blown starter circuit fuse
You could try measuring the coil resistance in the starter solenoid when it's cold and when it's hot. You may have a heat related intermittent short in there.
Thanks - good input - I will check this out.

/ TN75A - blown starter circuit fuse #6  
If you can, jumper across the hot lead to your solenoid. We used to do this eoth large screwdrivers or wrenches, but you can find switches to. Neutral, brake key on of course.

If it starts otherwise normally, inspect the wiring back to ignition switch. If no trouble found, I expect it is time for a solenoid.