Tire axle extensions - tire spreaders for hill crossing?

/ Tire axle extensions - tire spreaders for hill crossing? #1  

Ishkatan

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 8N
I am very interested in an RK37?? but like all the others, the industrial tires give it a narrow stance. I bush hog 4 acres of 10 degree hill with a few spots at 15 degrees and I like to go across the hill, not up and down. And for excitement I have woodchuck holes hidden in the brush. I would like to spread the wheels on the RK37 out a bit so it has a wider stance.
What are things to watch out for with hub extension? Is the extra leverage an issue? Should I be looking at dual wheels in front instead of extensions (due to bucket weight

/ Tire axle extensions - tire spreaders for hill crossing? #2  
Are your wheels reversible or do they have bolted flanges that allow the wheels to be set wider?

/ Tire axle extensions - tire spreaders for hill crossing?
Are your wheels reversible or do they have bolted flanges that allow the wheels to be set wider?
That is the problem with industrial and turf tires on most compacts. They are welded one piece wheels. Only Ag tires (R1) seem to have two piece wheels with reversible centers and rims on compact tractor. Stupid industry pattern.

/ Tire axle extensions - tire spreaders for hill crossing? #4  
That is the problem with industrial and turf tires on most compacts. They are welded one piece wheels. Only Ag tires (R1) seem to have two piece wheels with reversible centers and rims on compact tractor. Stupid industry pattern.
Wonder if you’d be better off dumping the Industrials and going with adjustable AG’s?
much better traction and wide offsets at your choosing.
I have run both and only find R-4s useful for frequent on pavement use.
AG rim/tire makes your tractor more “powerful” because it puts more traction into the dirt

The issue with Ag tires is they dig up turf on sharp turns. I want to mow the front yard with the same machine. I found axle extenders and they would run $600 - $850 for 2 axles depending on brand. Ag wheels/tires for me I think.

Somebody on this forum found cheap spacers on Amazon. I would extend the rears 4" on each side.
Been looking - they all seem to be for cars and 2" are the widest. Maybe Chevy ones would fit - would have to measure lug spacing. I think Ag tires are my only choice - and more research.
I priced a Ventrac. Nice but very premium $$ and can't use my post hole digger. Replacing my working bush hog was $4200 for their front mount implement. Someone should make a tractor with a front mount 3 pt. class 1 hitch.

Ordered 6" Bora spacers but when they came the screw thread was 1.5 while my RK37 has 2.0 thread. The spacers are set up for angled bolt shoulders (like cars) but you can't get car style bolts in 2.0 thread. Motorsports has been easy to work with and they are making me a replacement set to fit the flat shoulder 2.0 thread. I'll be posting the full story the RK thread once I have them installed.

/ Tire axle extensions - tire spreaders for hill crossing? #9  
Somebody on this forum found cheap spacers on Amazon. I would extend the rears 4" on each side.
The problem with spacers is what happens to the warranty on your axle and transmission, cases, etc. The extra force on the axle can be blamed for a lot of problems, and maybe void warranty.

/ Tire axle extensions - tire spreaders for hill crossing? #10  
The problem with spacers is what happens to the warranty on your axle and transmission, cases, etc. The extra force on the axle can be blamed for a lot of problems, and maybe void warranty.
Eleven years with 1000# hanging on rear. No problem. Never heard of a problem from anyone else on this forum with damaged rear axle because of spacers. Of course it may be someones luck that they have a bad axle and a dealer would decline a warranty. As with anything, you need to weigh the risk to the rewards.