This Bank is KILLING Me….

/ This Bank is KILLING Me…. #1  

Mountaineer67

Tractor
Mahindra 2015
F74D3A04-7A1A-4411-96A2-6C4328C83CC8.jpeg

This hill is killing me. A little steeper than it looks. I have a JD 1023 - not enough juice for a boom mower or a flail. You can see I have easy access from the top. Been weedeating this mess for five years.

What if I took tow behind mower like you use with an ATV - hitched it to the back of the 1023 - and just backed up to the edge letting the mower drop down over the bank? Put a bit longer extension on it if I needed to. Then work my way across up and down. Is this a really smart idea or a really stupid one? I’ve been known to have both kinds.

/ This Bank is KILLING Me…. #2  
Might work, but more likely to be a bigger headache. And it does look steep in the distance. Might try to take the road crew (highway maintenance) some refreshments and ask them to cut that. Looks like a state highway. Seems like they cut places I wouldn't even attempt.

Oh, by the way, when I clicked on this, I expected to see a "Bank Building." I thought - Oh no, someone is being cheated by the bank. Made me smile.

/ This Bank is KILLING Me…. #3  
No solution, but you did a good job on capturing how steep that is and it looks pretty steep. What's it look like if you leave it alone?

/ This Bank is KILLING Me….
No solution, but you did a good job on capturing how steep that is and it looks pretty steep. What's it look like if you leave it alone?
Pretty horrible. 😂

/ This Bank is KILLING Me…. #5  
In the long run, it may be cheaper to have a dozer remove the crest and contour a more gentle slope. Might even give you a couple loads of dirt to also use.

Oh forgot, Welcome to TBN.

/ This Bank is KILLING Me…. #6  
View attachment 753705

This hill is killing me. A little steeper than it looks. I have a JD 1023 - not enough juice for a boom mower or a flail. You can see I have easy access from the top. Been weedeating this mess for five years.

What if I took tow behind mower like you use with an ATV - hitched it to the back of the 1023 - and just backed up to the edge letting the mower drop down over the bank? Put a bit longer extension on it if I needed to. Then work my way across up and down. Is this a really smart idea or a really stupid one? I’ve been known to have both kinds.
My YM2610 is similar in size to your JD1023, with the exception to having larger rear wheels. Basically my machine is a JD850/950.

I had a bank at my old place so much like yours. With a JD261 rear finish mower, I never went up nor down the bank and never horizonal because the incline was pitched more than the safety angle to do so at 12-degrees. I was not going to attempt to test out the ROPS.

So, how did I mow a bank like this? Simple angled strip nearly like horizontal. Personally, I didn't come up with mowing method. The county mowers banks like this with JD and Kubota machines. I've watched their techniques with machines the same size as mine before even attempting the feat.

Start at the base and mow upwards at a slant. Then in slow reverse back down, align for the next pass and mow again at the mating slant. Make sure to have the proper weight up front. It makes the work so much better. Do not rely on a loader on the front because for a slope like this, it changes the center of gravity on your machine to the unsafe approach.

1657559240224.png

/ This Bank is KILLING Me…. #7  
Do you have a rotary cutter? I used to back up grades like that with a 6' cutter behind an L3400 when I contract mowed. Looking at the picture though that would put you in traffic at the bottom. You would need a chain for the top link and R1 tires.

/ This Bank is KILLING Me…. #8  
In the long run, it may be cheaper to have a dozer remove the crest and contour a more gentle slope. Might even give you a couple loads of dirt to also use.

Oh forgot, Welcome to TBN.
I really like that idea so much better. :)

/ This Bank is KILLING Me…. #9  
How much linear distance?

There are robot mowers similar to robot vacuums, but they're not cheap.

Dozing it back might be an option if there aren't any utilities to deal with.

/ This Bank is KILLING Me…. #10  
How much linear distance?

There are robot mowers similar to robot vacuums, but they're not cheap.

Dozing it back might be an option if there aren't any utilities to deal with.
I like the robot mowers too, but they are not all that good if the grass got way taller on that slope.

It would need to be a robot mower with good gription wheels too. Looking at the grass stubble, the robot would have issues.