Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows
Found out today that a friend of mine has a '67 with good sheet metal he might sell. He said the tractor runs good but when you start it you have to shake the steering wheel for the engine to crank, maybe to relieve the pressure on the pump? I'll be looking at it soon.

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #12  
Found out today that a friend of mine has a '67 with good sheet metal he might sell. He said the tractor runs good but when you start it you have to shake the steering wheel for the engine to crank, maybe to relieve the pressure on the pump? I'll be looking at it soon.
Needs a destroke kit. No big deal.

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #13  
My brother-in-law has 2 of them. I think one is a ‘68 or ‘69, the other is a ‘71 or ‘72. One has powershift and one doesn’t. He also has a 4320 which is like a 4020 on steroid’s. They’re a beast of a tractor, probably one of the nicest looking Deeres ever built. If you have the space and the means to own one, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. They still command top dollar 50 years later.
happy new year

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #14  
I see on "Tractor Data" that the 4020 was available with 4wd, but don't know if I've ever seen one. What sort of a front wheel drive system did it have? Were many made
rScotty

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #15  
I see on "Tractor Data" that the 4020 was available with 4wd, but don't know if I've ever seen one. What sort of a front wheel drive system did it have? Were many made
rScotty
Hydraulic wheel motors with planetary reductions. That was the factory option Deere offered on the 20 and 30 series Waterloo built tractors.

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #16  
And 40 series E233D6CC-3426-4BDB-A994-F26585B5BABC.jpeg

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #17  
Rowcrop 40 series had HFWD also. IIRC 4040S,4240s, 50 & 55 series rowcrop models had MFWD

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #18  
I like the idea of the HFWD. Simple, no F/Rear ratio problems. and ought to be easy to mount. That "easy to mount" used to be a JD specialty. In fact, I've got a story about how easy it used to be to swap JD options...

Many years ago our JD530 tricycle almost did a spinning backflip when we were plowing and hooked a rock.
That was a crisis for our family so we ran to a tractor junk yard and bought an old "used but good" complete wide front off an older 2 cylinder - probably an old JD A.

The next day my wife & I removed the tricycle wheel and bolted up the wide adjustable front. It was real simple straight bolt up exchange, didn't require any extra parts, and was done in a couple of hours. All the bolts and holes were already right there in the castings. There was some nice interchangeable engineering in those days.

We still have that tractor and that power front end is still working fine. For that matter, the old tricycle front is around somewhere in the weeds. Never throw a tractor part away.....
rScotty

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #19  
Hydraulic Front Wheel Assist , HFWA was not an uncommon option.
It was not a very well thought of option as it provided a very limited front drive assist,
with a lot of problems. All of the US manufactures offered it on some models.
Oliver was one of the major adopters for a few years.