Think I’m going to get a sawmill.

/ Think I’m going to get a sawmill. #11  
FWIW, I bought the Harbor Freight sawmill on sale a coupe of years ago, my first experience with a sawmill. I could not justify anything more sophisticated. The mill has given me some decent project lumber around the farm but it is extremely heavy labor intensive having to manually roll and adjust the logs, especially for a single person operation. Production rates are very slow.

It is faster than a chain saw mill ("Alaskan Sawmill")

/ Think I’m going to get a sawmill.
I purchased a Woodland Mills HM 126 with the larger engine earlier this year and she will do 26" and just over 16' with one optional trac extension. They are one of the few actually delivering these days and the experience was all very positive performing well out of the box. They have a larger unit on wheels that would be around your budget.

Been building my setup over the last few months.View attachment 759098
Year, been looking at them. Way cheaper than woodmiser. Lots of good video with them. Seem like a heck of a deal. I’m going to call them tomorrow to see their turnaround time.

/ Think I’m going to get a sawmill.
What is the warping rate on larger 1x’s And 2x’s?

/ Think I’m going to get a sawmill. #14  
Year, been looking at them. Way cheaper than woodmiser. Lots of good video with them. Seem like a heck of a deal. I’m going to call them tomorrow to see their turnaround time.
Received my mill in 8 days from time of order so they are shipping pretty quickly.

/ Think I’m going to get a sawmill. #15  
What is the warping rate on larger 1x’s And 2x’s?
I've got a lot more to learn, but I think it's got a lot to do with the species and where the tree is growing. I've seen the tension come out of a tree as you saw boards off of it.
Forestry forum has a sawmill section.

/ Think I’m going to get a sawmill. #16  
I've seen the tension come out of a tree as you saw boards off of it.
wood internal stress and tension has never been a cut and dry proposition for me. I gotta take a pass on my saw and see if it collapses on the blade. Doesn't matter whether it's on my Austrian Slider or my Bandsaw, sometimes it's just going to be a problem and sometimes it's not. If the tree was a leaner I can pretty much guarantee lots of internal stress. Even seasoning doesn't relieve it. Neither does kilning. I have done it in a steam box. Not very efficient.

/ Think I’m going to get a sawmill. #17  
12 years ago we built our home from scratch. Except for setting the log kit up I have worked by myself. A lot of planks and boards came from our Woodmizer, cut on our land. Two out buildings used 100% lumber from the mill except for sheets and bit of treated. A lot has changed in the last ten years. Back problems intensified, carpel tunnel, both hips and a knee, bad ankle - whah, whah, whah. But wisely when the DW chose and negotiated for the mill she must've seen into the future. She bought the hydraulics for loading, positioning, rolling, clamping, etc. 12 years ago it was just cool, faster and safer. But now I wouldn't be able to do the milling without the hydraulic functions. Think forward as you ponder your purchase.

Yup, the mill was expensive. But its in excellent shape and would sell for a decent price in a heartbeat today. And I can't speak higher of the mill. The only ongoing problem with it is its a haven for yellow jackets in the summer.

/ Think I’m going to get a sawmill. #18  
I have always wanted a mill too and maybe one of these days I will get it. For now I have a friend that is a mile down the road with a full hydraulic Woodmizer who I get my wood from. It is definitely a lot of work but oh so satisfying to make something beautiful out of wood that used to be a tree on your own land.

/ Think I’m going to get a sawmill. #19  
Biggest problems with lumber after it's milled out of a log is because of how it was handled after milling. I've been milling with a BSM since the 90's and I just don't have all the problems folks seem to be having.

Learn how to "properly" sticker lumber and almost all of those problems go away!

SR

/ Think I’m going to get a sawmill. #20  
I cut about 95% hemlock, all for buildings. I really don't have any problems with twisting or the like. It's sawn and used within a month or less.
I know that Rob (seems to) cut a lot of furniture grade lumber and his stickers and cheap ratchet straps....👍👍👍