Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,821  
Yes, I've read that, too.
IIRC they had two headlights in the fenders and 1 bullseye in the middle of the grill that is the one the turned with the wheels. Then came the Edsel that did the same think and people were saying What a great idea Edsel had. Stolen credit.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,822  
Also I believe the Cords and some of the Duesenbergs also used steerable head lamps.
These were a tad bit before my time but I do recall reading about them in my younger years.
Given how dim those old 6V incandescent headlights were, they needed all the help they could get.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,823  
What vehicles have steering responsive headlights?

• Model Research.
  • 2022 Subaru Ascent.
  • 2022 Subaru BRZ.
  • 2022 Subaru Forester & Forester Wilderness.
  • 2022 Subaru Legacy.
  • 2022 Subaru WRX.
  • 2023 Solterra EV.
  • 2023 Subaru Crosstrek.
etc.
BMW K1600 motorcycles

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,824  
Your post, plus that linked article, made for a lot of reading. But it actually does NOT address steerable headlamps. The adaptive beam technology it is discussing has to do with technology aimed at improving pedestrian interaction, not horizontal beam steering. As noted, I've owned a few cars with steerable headlamps over the last 15 years, all bought here in Pennsylvania, and all legal. I believe the first may have been a Lexus SUV bought around 2010. The aforementioned Volvo V50 definitely had them, purchased in 2010.

We also had a Maxima "sport" way back in the 80's that had side-lighting headlamps, which would energize when you enabled a turn signal. Looked goofy, but was actually effective on dark country roads.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,825  
21499EFB-7E34-4436-A71B-6A29F80B2A9C.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,827  
Here’s one you probably didn’t know. 175 years ago today, Niagra Falls ran dry, the water literally stopped. Check me on it!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,828  
Your post, plus that linked article, made for a lot of reading. But it actually does NOT address steerable headlamps. The adaptive beam technology it is discussing has to do with technology aimed at improving pedestrian interaction, not horizontal beam steering. As noted, I've owned a few cars with steerable headlamps over the last 15 years, all bought here in Pennsylvania, and all legal. I believe the first may have been a Lexus SUV bought around 2010. The aforementioned Volvo V50 definitely had them, purchased in 2010.

We also had a Maxima "sport" way back in the 80's that had side-lighting headlamps, which would energize when you enabled a turn signal. Looked goofy, but was actually effective on dark country roads.
Some vehicles have had cornering lights which are and always have been legal.
Moveable head lamps have not.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#3,829  
My wife’s Chrysler 300c definitely has headlights that move and so do other cars. The headlights themselves don’t move but somehow they do aim some around corners. When you start the car up against a wall you can see the beam dance around and then settle down. When driving you really don’t notice it that much but it’s happening.

Cornering lights were built into the lower front fender and came on with the turn signals. I haven’t seen those for several years.