Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,591  
I guess there's a knack there that I haven't mastered. I either poke holes in it it or it just retracts once I remove my hands.

We used Appian Way brand pizza kits when I was a teen, this would have been the 60s. Kind of lousy pizza, but at the time didn't know any better. Don't think I had a "real" pizza until I was in my 20s.
We grew up with Appian Way mixes. We used those our entire married life and passed them along to the kids. Both of our moms used them. The crust was good. We doctored up the sauce and toppings. It was a fairly common event. Pizza Friday! (or we'd buy a local pizza, always good to get different pies). They were still available up until a few years ago. Once they went away is when I started looking into making our own crust.

The hole poking is why I switched to the rolling pin. It's also easier to transfer it from the countertop to the pan using the rolling pin. Trying to spread dough in an already oiled pan is misery. 🤣 Gotta do it on the countertop.

The wide rolling pin makes it very easy to keep it round and even VS "the blob" that's thicker in some places and thinner in others.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,592  
I have lived in NYC and Western MA, and now live in semi-rural PA.
I miss being in NYC, and had lots of fun there.
Working there and living in PA was a good mix until my company moved downtown and now the commute there adds and extra hour to the day, so I try to work from home.
Being in the big city is like traveling to different countries and always something to do.
I don't feel the same way about Philly, maybe just too many bad areas with so far good ones in the city itself.
I like being able to walk in the woods or use the tractor one day, and be in some really great beer hall or area in the city the next.

I just keep aware of my surroundings, just like when I take a big tree down.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,593  
There was one not too far from where I live now in Stewartstown, N.H. From what I've read, it was very low security. Pretty far in the boonies, and most of the PoWs realized they were better off here than in Germany. A lot of them stayed once the war was over.
According to international law, they were supposed to be sent back home first, but I doubt they were too intent on worrying about such trivialities when the war was over. I also read that escapes were made, but when they realized how big this country is, and how difficult it was to travel, and find something to eat, they returned voluntarily!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,594  
Re: Bread Machines.

I bought mine at a yard sale for $5. The young mother selling it didn't have time or energy to use it. She also sold me a recipe book. It makes a funny shape loaf so I use it on the dough setting and make a part rye flour loaf.

I mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and put the wet ingredients in the machine bowl and add the dry ingredients. When it's finished I form a loaf, let it rise in a regular loaf pan for about an hour and bake.

1/2 Tbl Bread Machine yeast Do NOT use regular yeast. I use Fleishmann's in the 4 oz jar
240 g (2 cups) Bread Flour (NOT GP flour) Bread flour has more protein and is better in machines
120 g ( 1 cup) rye flour This can be hard to find, and you can substitute Whole Wheat.

1 cup warm water (or beer) I sometimes use a beaten egg and enough water to make 8 oz
23 g (2 Tbl) oil; I use EVOO, you can also use melted butter
42 g (2 Tbl) honey or sugar. I use honey because it more healthy and a natural preservative
9 g (1/2 Tbl) salt

If you want just white sandwich bread use all bread flour. You can also substitute potato flakes for part of the white flour. It makes for a lighter fluffier bread.

We don't eat a lot of bread, mostly for sandwiches. On occasion I'll use the beer and/or egg variations, maybe throw in a Tbl of Italian herbs and form it into an Italian or French loave and bring it dinner at other folks homes.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,595  
Re: Bread Machines.

I bought mine at a yard sale for $5. The young mother selling it didn't have time or energy to use it. She also sold me a recipe book. It makes a funny shape loaf so I use it on the dough setting and make a part rye flour loaf.

I mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and put the wet ingredients in the machine bowl and add the dry ingredients. When it's finished I form a loaf, let it rise in a regular loaf pan for about an hour and bake.

1/2 Tbl Bread Machine yeast Do NOT use regular yeast. I use Fleishmann's in the 4 oz jar
240 g (2 cups) Bread Flour (NOT GP flour) Bread flour has more protein and is better in machines
120 g ( 1 cup) rye flour This can be hard to find, and you can substitute Whole Wheat.

1 cup warm water (or beer) I sometimes use a beaten egg and enough water to make 8 oz
23 g (2 Tbl) oil; I use EVOO, you can also use melted butter
42 g (2 Tbl) honey or sugar. I use honey because it more healthy and a natural preservative
9 g (1/2 Tbl) salt

If you want just white sandwich bread use all bread flour. You can also substitute potato flakes for part of the white flour. It makes for a lighter fluffier bread.

We don't eat a lot of bread, mostly for sandwiches. On occasion I'll use the beer and/or egg variations, maybe throw in a Tbl of Italian herbs and form it into an Italian or French loave and bring it dinner at other folks homes.
Thanks!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,596  
I just did the heart health check at the local hospital yesterday. Blood work, cat scan, EKG and ultra sound. $99 and really popular. I had to wait 3 months for my appt.

Everything checked out good They said to come back in 5 years.

Made me feel good since my twin brother had to get a blood clot removed from his heart and 2 stints installed just before Christmas.
I'm coming up on 88 in a week or two, just got the latest report from me docotor. All normal. Odd. That's not what my friends say.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,597  
I guess there's a knack there that I haven't mastered. I either poke holes in it it or it just retracts once I remove my hands.
When you make holes you can push them back together. It's pretty easy once you've done it a few times.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,598  
Touche no donut shops or bagel shops within 50 miles of me, yet very few killings. Maybe it is caused by donut shops. :devilish:
I was kind of thinking that too! But we know there are more police officers where there are more doughnuts? Wouldn't crime be lower? :unsure:

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,599  
You know I have no idea where the cops hang out here.... no coffee or donut shops. Not seen a cluster of cruisers any where, weird..... I was used to finding the good cheap donuts (and other foods) by looking for gaggles of cop cars,

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,600  
We used to have two of those every Sunday night. My mother would bake it while my father made three batches of pop corn... in the old shaker style over the stove burner.
Sunday night for us kids too. It was my mom’s one night off from cooking each week. She did complain that the pizzas stinking up the house. I still have that battle scarred aluminum pizza pan somewhere.

Last edited: