Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,271  
Ellen Kelly
Guess I'm just old school when it comes to reading.
There's something about holding a book as you're reading it. If you really enjoy it you can pass it along to somebody else. There's a used book store about 60 miles from me which is like a warehouse of paperbacks, nearly anything you can imagine. They usually are about 40% of face value, when I go in I bring $20 and leave with a month's worth of reading.

I also would rather read than watch TV or a movie... although I have been catching reruns of Johnny Carson on Youtube.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,272  
That's funny, I get pissed when I can't find a PDF manual of something I have on paper. Ctrl-F, you can find anything you're seeking in a second flat, versus flipping thru pages for two minutes. How on earth could you prefer paper, for quick reference?

... and I listed to two Audiobooks this weekend. :)

My shop is wired for WiFi, we actually have six hotspots scattered between house and shop, and one of my laptops routinely travels out there with me. Sure makes it easier to order parts and materials as things come up, when working on a machine or random job.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,273  
FD80C1F7-5533-4BC1-94D8-96BA86D02706.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,274  
That's funny, I get pissed when I can't find a PDF manual of something I have on paper. Ctrl-F, you can find anything you're seeking in a second flat, versus flipping thru pages for two minutes. How on earth could you prefer paper, for quick reference?
Not all pdf documents are indexed, plus it's way easier to flip thru a printed copy when you're not sure what page the info you're looking for is on. Schematics/diagrams often as not are printed landscape so you have to rotate the view, page up/down and it resets (or else have to be re-rotated for text). Likewise zoom in/out. While pdf manuals have their place, I'll take a printed copy for most situations.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,275  

... and I listed to two Audiobooks this weekend. :)

My shop is wired for WiFi, we actually have six hotspots scattered between house and shop, and one of my laptops routinely travels out there with me. Sure makes it easier to order parts and materials as things come up, when working on a machine or random job.
I like both types, except for the PDFs that are just images and not searchable. Drives me bananas. Pet peeve.

I'm generally reluctant to take electronics into the shop...grease, metal filings, heavy objects, arcs from welding... I am glad that it works for you.

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,276  
I like both types, except for the PDFs that are just images and not searchable. Drives me bananas. Pet peeve.
Definitely. But if you have Acrobat Pro for work, then it will automatically convert image-only PDF's to searchable text. If you don't have that, then there are cheaper (non-Adobe) software that do the same thing for less $.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,277  
Totally agree. PDF manuals are the worst. More often than not, you're trying to find the chapter that addresses whatever info you're trying to look up, and it's not easy to skim with most readers let alone when you need to flip back & forth between sections. I really don't have much use for audiobooks or podcasts either...when I read I tend to skim over the "slow" (or boring) parts...not easy to do with something pre-recorded. I took a speed reading class when I was in Jr. High and one of the things they taught was that you don't need to read every single word to get the gist of it.

I suppose an e-reader would be nice if you read a lot of new books...it could save you some money but most of the books I read are either from the swap table at the dump (nice thing is when you're done you can return it for a full refund! :LOL: ) or dollar books from a flea market. Guess I'm just old school when it comes to reading.

I get mine now from "The Grandmother's Shop". The take donations and sell used clothing, dishes, towels, etc. etc. for almost nothing. They have a good bookshelf, paperbacks .25C, hardbacks 50C. Pretty good selection also. When my wife died all her things wound up there.

Somehow out of those nickles and dimes, rarely a dollar or two, they make thousands of dollars in donations to very good causes. The publish an article in the newspaper every year listing the recipients.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,278  

I'm generally reluctant to take electronics into the shop...grease, metal filings, heavy objects, arcs from welding... I am glad that it works for you.

All the best,

Peter
I like to copy my manual and use that, rather than the original. Especially with my service manual for my tractor, which costs well over $100 yet seems to be printed on common printer paper.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,279  
Count me as#5. 25 years in I.T., had a small computer lab in my basement, too. Now I have surface Pro that rarely gets used, an iPad, and an iPhone. That's it.
Same here. iPads and iPhone which wondrously sync together everything. I curse that Windows PC in the back bedroom every time I have to turn it on. A couple of Excel spreadsheets mostly for summarizing tax stuff. It will Not be replaced when it dies.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,280  
I like PDF copies of manuals to store on my phone. It's with me much of the time, so those manuals are handy and easier for me to find when needed. Plus they don't get torn or dirty.