Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,751  
Oh oh, so we are not to far off the rails, I’d like to mention that ‘Tractors’ had not been invented yet! ;)
The 1769 Cugnot Steam Tractor
/

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,752  
The car chase in the movie Bullitt.

It stars Steve McQueen. The car chase is between a green 1968 Ford Mustang 390, 4 speed car. The other car is a Dodge Charger, black, 440 Magnum 4 speed car. Steve McQueen did some but not all of the driving in the Mustang. Bill Hickman, who also was stunt driver, drove the black Charger.

I could write a lot about the chase scene, I’ve read a lot about it and probably have watched it 50 times but I’ll keep it short. Steve McQueen insisted it be real, the film is not sped up. There are mistakes in it, like seeing the VW bug more than once, losing more than 4 hub caps off the Charger etc. At the end of the chase the Charger is suppose to hit a gas station and explode, it misses but you can’t really tell in the movie.

One of the original movie Mustangs cars that is documented sold at auction for $3.74 million dollars recently.

View attachment 790507View attachment 790508
Remember Eleanor? Gone in 60 seconds. One of my all time favorite car movies! They wrecked 93 Mustangs in a 97 min movie that was produced by a junkyard owner!

1679677088669.jpeg

1679677121334.jpeg

1679677154613.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,753  
/
Wow! What a stunning preservation!
Brother BnRidge, I think you win post of the day! I’ve never seen that before, thank you. (y)

ps. I also stand corrected. :)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,754  
The car chase in the movie Bullitt.

It stars Steve McQueen. The car chase is between a green 1968 Ford Mustang 390, 4 speed car. The other car is a Dodge Charger, black, 440 Magnum 4 speed car. Steve McQueen did some but not all of the driving in the Mustang. Bill Hickman, who also was stunt driver, drove the black Charger.

I could write a lot about the chase scene, I’ve read a lot about it and probably have watched it 50 times but I’ll keep it short. Steve McQueen insisted it be real, the film is not sped up. There are mistakes in it, like seeing the VW bug more than once, losing more than 4 hub caps off the Charger etc. At the end of the chase the Charger is suppose to hit a gas station and explode, it misses but you can’t really tell in the movie.

One of the original movie Mustangs cars that is documented sold at auction for $3.74 million dollars recently.

View attachment 790507View attachment 790508
One story version I read was that if the Mustang’s inside mirror was turned upwards a stunt man was driving. Down and it was Steve McQueen driving. True?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,755  
/
It turns out the first tractor was indeed a tricycle.
Great find, BnRidge. If there was a TBN award, I would be the first to nominate you.

/ Tell us something we don’t know.
#3,756  
One story version I read was that if the Mustang’s inside mirror was turned upwards a stunt man was driving. Down and it was Steve McQueen driving. True?
Maybe. I read you could on occasion tell the stunt driver was in the car, but I thought it was because you could see him in the rear view mirror. It could be they turned the mirror so you couldn’t see his face.

A couple of other facts. The chase sequence doesn’t make sense if you know the streets in San Francisco. They would show a scene and then the next sequence might be some place miles away.

There is a corner where Steve McQueen slides past it, backs up smoking one tire (not a posi), and then takes off. He wasn’t suppose to do that, he was suppose to make the corner but after about the third try they just went with it.

I was disappointed to learn not all the engine sounds were real, some were dubbed. I owned a couple of big block Mopars and always thought the sounds coming from the Charger were pretty realistic.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,757  
Here is the chase scene. Too exciting to watch out the windshield rather than look at mirror. lol!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,759  
Great chase scene. However, I do think they underplayed the effectiveness of a 12 gauge shotgun at point blank range.
Here is the ‘stealing Eleanor‘ scene from Gone in 60 seconds. Not as well done as Bullit but still very exciting. The engine sounds are much better IMHO.