TC 35D Starting Concern

/ TC 35D Starting Concern #1  
Tractor
New Holland TC35D
Have a TC35D, does not want to start; this is getting old. Just replaced solenoid to pump (cutoff). This is the 3rd. They go bad. Any rate, tractor worked for about a week an then stopped! I checked solenoid and it works however, no voltage. same with starter. When jumped using the tractor's battery (voltage applied to where plugs into starter) started like a champ. What does starter relay send voltage to? Could it be that or Micro (safety) switches? Ignition switch? The seat is jumped (bypassed). Honestly, have yet to take off steering cover and check breakers. Just looking for ideas if blown fuse not case. Basically: No voltage to fuel pump solenoid or starter when ignition switch engaged.

/ TC 35D Starting Concern #2  
Welcome to TBN. As a general rule if turning on the key gets no action other that activating dash lights check to see which safety switches have not been satisfied - seat, PTO, clutch, etc. If you have an HST transmission and the pedal is not in a neutral position there is a safety switch on that, too.

/ TC 35D Starting Concern #3  
@Oklahoma Tractor Man -

if you are sure there is:
Basically: No voltage to fuel pump solenoid or starter when ignition switch engaged.
First I'm assuming you tested the fuel pump solenoid... & it seems to be working based on your description.... The seat switch and the parking brake switch will not stop the engine from turning over. They just cause the fuel solenoid to shut off (engine turns over but doesn't fire). So, if your fuel solenoid is not getting power that would be the issue. However if you engine is not turning over & your not getting power to the fuel solenoid the first thing to check is fuse #2... then I would test the ignition switch... Then the relays & lastly the safety control module.

Also make sure your battery cable are good... NH TC series are know for having internal failures (not visible) to the battery cables (positive & negative) that cause all sorts of issues. I have (& many others) have many posts about it... But I would check the above first but I would also check the cables...

One other thing to consider doing AFTER to find & fix the problem if doing the starter relay modification on the TC, which is fairly easy, & helps tremendously with the reliability of the starting circuits of the TC tractors... But diagnose & find the current problem prior to just throwing parts at it would be my suggestion...

/ TC 35D Starting Concern #4  
Finally got back to troubleshooting. Took off rear tire. All switches got a tone with meter. Yanked off cover. Second fuse from left blown. Me wonder why? Put 25 amp on for troubleshooting (all I have will get 15 amp when in town). Starts! Again, recently changed fuel pump solenoid. Any input appreciated. Might be getting close... Again thanks.

/ TC 35D Starting Concern #5  
@Oklahoma Tractor Man -

if you are sure there is:

First I'm assuming you tested the fuel pump solenoid... & it seems to be working based on your description.... The seat switch and the parking brake switch will not stop the engine from turning over. They just cause the fuel solenoid to shut off (engine turns over but doesn't fire). So, if your fuel solenoid is not getting power that would be the issue. However if you engine is not turning over & your not getting power to the fuel solenoid the first thing to check is fuse #2... then I would test the ignition switch... Then the relays & lastly the safety control module.

Also make sure your battery cable are good... NH TC series are know for having internal failures (not visible) to the battery cables (positive & negative) that cause all sorts of issues. I have (& many others) have many posts about it... But I would check the above first but I would also check the cables...

One other thing to consider doing AFTER to find & fix the problem if doing the starter relay modification on the TC, which is fairly easy, & helps tremendously with the reliability of the starting circuits of the TC tractors... But diagnose & find the current problem prior to just throwing parts at it would be my suggestion...
DLCTCG,

Where can I get info on starter relay modification. I am interested as I wish to narrow down why the fuse blows. But third solinoid for fuel shutoff seems excessive for time I had this tractor. I am the original owner. It shows on diagram like a five amp fuse so, I must have stepped it up to a 15 and it still blew... That is where I am at currently. So far, you have been spot on.

/ TC 35D Starting Concern #6  
@Mytractorbroken -

It has been posted on here many times but I have a copy of it (see attached PDF)... This was posted by another user (can't remember who) but it what I used to layout my starter modification...

Attachments

• Starting Circuit Modification.pdf
    99.3 KB · Views: 119
   / TC 35D Starting Concern #7  
Thanks Dlctcg!

Do not wish to be down for ignition concerns. Perhaps with the new relay, the blowing of fuses and burnout of solenoids may lessen. Really appreciate the diagram.

Chris