Taking the Chinese out of made in China atv snowblower.

/ Taking the Chinese out of made in China atv snowblower. #1  

jjeff

Elite Member
Tractor
kubota l2850, kubota l4150
Hi have a mossimo brand Chinese made 60" atv,sxs snowblower. Threw it on in a hurry last year to clear my hilly property in the UP. Overall it works pretty good throws snow 30' it's kind of slow going and a little underpowered in snow over a foot deep. biggest complaint is the mounting plate, stabilizer chains, aluminum gear box on impeller, and lack of grease fittings. a Proper owners manual dealing with adjustments would have been beneficial. Exchanged it with my other atv and plow and brought this setup down state I own a pair of Yamaha Kodiak 700s with PS and no front dif lock. Hoping I have enough time to beef it up this Fall or I'll use my old 2850 for snow removal down state, am always open to pointers and suggestions.

Attachments

• KIMG1105.JPG
    KIMG1105.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 197
  • KIMG1106.JPG
    KIMG1106.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 196
  • KIMG1107.JPG
    KIMG1107.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 188
   / Taking the Chinese out of made in China atv snowblower.
1st task was fixing mounting plate, the steel u bolts used for mounting plate were rubbing on the aluminum front dif. I think it's good now figure If I bend this one I shouldn't mount on a 4 wheeler anymore. Cut and drilled a repurposed piece of 3/16 thick angle from an old pallet rack to bolt to front of 4 wheeler than welded it the old mounting plate, eliminates the need for u bolts near the differential. The existing threaded bolt holes on 4 wheeler appear to be factory and for a front hitch receiver or something? they were not in use anyway until now. Still need to weld a few pieces on plate to reinforce.

Attachments

• KIMG1110.JPG
    KIMG1110.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 129
  • KIMG1115.JPG
    KIMG1115.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 127
  • KIMG1119.JPG
    KIMG1119.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 138
  • KIMG1118.JPG
    KIMG1118.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 135
So I got away from my mind numbing desk job for an hour , and was able to box the mounting plate using a piece of scrap angle iron from a shipping crate unfortunately if you use the "universal" mounting plate they give you it doesn't fit a Yamaha fourwheeler cause the plate is to wide and interferes with lower A arms so I had to slice and dice it last year to come close to fitting, used a Milwaukee hole saw and a HF drill press to put in access to the drain bolt for front differential fluid, put in two gussets using old left over cutoffs, tacked everything than made sure it fit. Hopefully I can get it all welded tonight. I haven't gotten to any of the mods I need to do to the actual snowblower itself yet. Fortunately I figure all mods I'm doing will run around 20 bucks total cause I keep so much stuff other folks would consider scrap lol.

Attachments

• KIMG1125.JPG
    KIMG1125.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 119
  • KIMG1122.JPG
    KIMG1122.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 121
  • KIMG1127.JPG
    KIMG1127.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 129
Last edited:
   / Taking the Chinese out of made in China atv snowblower. #4  
You must have taken it home with you to try change it up some. Looks good so far.

So problem one with mounting plate is fixed I believe, while waiting for paint and primer to dry I started working on problem 2, the side stabilizer chains. I'm thinking completely remove the existing setup and add old unused trailer safety chain retainers, heavier duty turnbuckles, reinforce blower frame/ caster swivels where chain retainers mount with scrap 3/16 angle, replace junk 3/16" chain with some better 1/4" chain and add a pair of gussets to the frame uprights. Most of which I had lying around. As you notice, the existing nuts that were factory welded into thin walled square tubing were stripping out I assume part of reason I kept throwing the stabilizer chains off when I'm blowing snow

Attachments

• KIMG1136.JPG
    KIMG1136.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 124
  • KIMG1142.JPG
    KIMG1142.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 124
  • KIMG1143.JPG
    KIMG1143.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
  • KIMG1144.JPG
    KIMG1144.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 114
  • KIMG1141.JPG
    KIMG1141.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 109
Mounting plate painted and installed last night. Cut some beefier backing plates from 3/16 flat stock, instead of using the washers supplie Hud, double nutted and cut excess off u-bolts so they don't get hung up and bent in the woods. One thing I noticed is if you buy this snowblower they do send you a ton of spare mounting hardware. Removed front bumper on atv to devise a way to mount chains off blower. Thinking of just using some old shackles, notch and weld them directly to bumper, like a stationary d-ring, if I bought dings I'd weld them anyway. Usually I'm against welding accessories to an ATV frame or bumper but I also know they will be used for other things I do with ATV besides snow removal. open to suggestions. I also realized before I started beefing up mounting plate is going to put a lot of stress directly on atv frame, however I compared the Yamaha components on atv compared to the components on snowblower and I realized something will most likely fail on the snow blower before the ATV.

Attachments

• KIMG1161.JPG
    KIMG1161.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 98
  • KIMG1154.JPG
    KIMG1154.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 103
  • KIMG1157.JPG
    KIMG1157.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 104
  • KIMG1155.JPG
    KIMG1155.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
So last night was able to find some old galvanized 1/2" turnbuckles lying around, I was going to buy some better ones until I saw the prices, i was able to mock up, tack and drill holes for one side. Still debating what to do with ATV bumper. I did unfortunately notice the existing snowblower frame is twisting where the casters mount. Hopefully the small gusset and 3/16 angle I'm welding in will help. Funny story I spent 5 mins trying to put a nut on turnbuckle to help lock it, before I remembered one side of it has opposite threads 😂.

Attachments

• KIMG1167.JPG
    KIMG1167.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
  • KIMG1164.JPG
    KIMG1164.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 97
  • KIMG1166.JPG
    KIMG1166.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 94
So today finally got back to project, welded both sides for the caster supports/chain turnbuckles, after much debate finally used up an old set of 1/2" stretched shackles, that were jacked, cut them, beveled the cuts and welded to the 4wheeler bumper where the old snowblowers mounting hook used to go. Once I get it painted and mounted I'm removing the snowblowers cutting edge and welding a pipe to it than reinstalling as all my snowblowing is done on gravel and lawns, have had great success welding pipes to cutting edges of plows, I may drill and tap a few more grease fittings in it. Winter time will tell if this was a successful project or a waste of my time, however I was glad to have finally use up/ repurpose some of the junk I've been collecting total cost minus consumables was the price of 4 new 3/8 shackles. 😂 Any questions feel free to ask. Btw I did not weld the castor to frame.

Attachments

• KIMG1182.JPG
    KIMG1182.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
  • KIMG1184.JPG
    KIMG1184.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 95
  • KIMG1185.JPG
    KIMG1185.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 87
  • KIMG1183.JPG
    KIMG1183.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 95
  • KIMG1186.JPG
    KIMG1186.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
So today got home, and my filters finally came in changed oil on 4 wheeler and put the blower on. So far success. It's a lot more solid than before, I was also able to just use the turnbuckles with no chain pays to measure 2x weld once plus I have two spare 3/8 shackles, added metric HF grease fittings to auger/end bearings, I noticed that although the bearings had seals they also had 2 tiny pinholes on outer race all the way to the balls, they were starting to rust. Drilled holes in the retainers and welded some m6 nuts to thread the grease fittings, also put 6 grease fittings on auger shaft itself, all the nuts were spares from kids toys 😂. A quality m6 thread chaser comes in handy after welding the nuts imo. Tacked/ fully welded my pipe on cutting edge also, I mounted/ welded it flush with the side feet fully down. Anyways I'll know a lot more once I actually get to use it. Another thing I noticed is how easy a wafer wheel cuts the steel on snow blower probably not a good thing.

Attachments

• KIMG1198.JPG
    KIMG1198.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 93
  • KIMG1199.JPG
    KIMG1199.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
  • KIMG1188.JPG
    KIMG1188.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
  • KIMG1195.JPG
    KIMG1195.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
  • KIMG1187.JPG
    KIMG1187.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
Snow! Eagerly awaiting to use this week down state like a kid on Xmas Eve 😂 to see if my mods were worthwhile and done to my yooper rigged standards 😂. I figure some folks with similar problems or ideas can learn what to and not do and if buying and moding one of these things is worth your time. It was less than 1/2 the price of similar self contained ATV/ Utv snowblowers. Kids already renamed it mossimo 2.0. lol

Attachments

• KIMG1330.JPG
    KIMG1330.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 100