Summer or winter diesel?

/ Summer or winter diesel? #22  
Hey, I have a Yanmar 155D which is not a great starter in cold weather (pretty much anything below freezing). The thing runs fine once going and warmed up a bit (smooth running with no smoke or blowby). I have checked the Thermostart device and valve timing - all OK.

One thing I'm wondering about is winter vs summer diesel. The diesel I have was bought some time last year so I am not sure whether it is summer or winter blend. Is there any simple way of telling which (I will replace the diesel in tank with winter blend if it is summer in there now)? Would it make a great deal of difference in cold weather starting?

TIA for any comments...
I didn't read all the answers, but you can see if you have a summer fuel problem by putting some in a jar and put it in the freezer. IF it clouds up, it's summer, untreated fuel.

I add NOTHING to my winter fuel, it's already treated at the fuel station.

SR

/ Summer or winter diesel? #23  
I've never seen any difference in starting - between summer or winter diesel. I put an additive in the diesel to prevent jelling. I have no idea if the local diesel is treated or not.

Besides - if it's that damn cold outside - I'm certainly not going to be out there.

I'm retired. Prefer a cup of hot coffee and gazing out the big bay windows.