Straight drive grease fittings (zerks)

/ Straight drive grease fittings (zerks) #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
Stupid question to some, I’ve never dealt with one, but need to replace one. How do you get them out, what dimension do you measure to get the right size replacement, and best way to put them back in?

Paint was blocking this one. Got paint off and the ball on it working, but couldn’t get it to take grease in any configuration.
This is for the swivel on a 3ph rear blade at the front of the boom/beam.

IMG_2469.JPG
IMG_2474.JPG

/ Straight drive grease fittings (zerks) #2  

For new ones, they basically just tap in gently. There are videos out there to see how it's done

/ Straight drive grease fittings (zerks) #3  
I would try spraying a little Blaster or other solvent into the blocked zerk, then letting the fitting soak, before replacing the zerk. Moderate heat application + solvent may melt old, congealed grease.

Some threaded zerks are metric, some Sterling/inch. I recommend buying an assortment pack at TSC to decrease frustration. My two new Kubotas have had mixed zerks. (!)

It been years since I have had a pin zerk that would absolutely not take grease. Try grease application with the implement in several different positions. Usually you can find/create a tiny gap where grease can enter by varying implement pressure on the pin.

I realize your conditions may be distinct.

Last edited:
   / Straight drive grease fittings (zerks)
Good tips Jeff.
Yes, it tried a few trick to get grease in. With blade up in air hanging on the swivel pin in “tension” and on the ground in “compression”.

/ Straight drive grease fittings (zerks) #5  
Here is a zerk clearing tool. I have no personal experience with such.

NOT MUCH MONEY = $15.00

/ Straight drive grease fittings (zerks) #6  
Stupid question to some, I’ve never dealt with one, but need to replace one. How do you get them out, what dimension do you measure to get the right size replacement, and best way to put them back in?

Paint was blocking this one. Got paint off and the ball on it working, but couldn’t get it to take grease in any configuration.

View attachment 744530 View attachment 744531
Coby, I have always just grabbed that type with vise grips, rotated back and forth a few times and they came right out. Never really measured to replace, kinda eyeballed the selection in the assortment box Dad had and picked one that matched. Tapped the new one in with a small socket that rode the shoulder of the zerk.

/ Straight drive grease fittings (zerks) #7  

For new ones, they basically just tap in gently. There are videos out there to see how it's done
I would pull that one, tap threads in, and thread in a new one. Very cheap and would make it easier to replace next time.

Regarding those clearing tools, they make me nervous. If there's a broken bit of metal, chunk of dirt or rock, or other blockage it seems like a bad idea to force that into the bearing surfaces you're trying to grease. I can replace a lot of zerks for $15 and have piece of mind about it but that's just me.