Stone/Aggregate Sizing and terminology in your state

/ Stone/Aggregate Sizing and terminology in your state #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Prompted by another thread.....And numerous times on here people talk about doing driveway work....I was wanting to compile a spreadsheet for my own curiosity (and maybe it could be made a sticky here somewhere).....of the different stone grades/sizes in your state.

My goal is to get all 50 states.....So what do you call the following stone sizes....

1. 1-1/2" - 3-1/2" Washed and screened (baseball sized stuff) like used for driveway base
2. ~1-1/2" washed uniform sized (golf ball sized)
3. ~3/4" washed and uniform (large marble) used for drainage or driveway top coat
4. ~3/8" washed and uniform (pea-gravel sized) used for driveway as well
5. 1-1/2" down to dust. Packs well and lots of fines
6. 3/4" down to dust. Packs well and lots of fines

Here in ohio we call it
1. 1's and 2's
2. #4's
3. #57's
4. #8's
5. 304's
6. 411's

IF I can get all 50 states....or the majority of them I will post a spreadsheet. So post what you know...share the knowledge. That way when someone is talking about building a parking pad, or driveway......we arent lost by the terminology of others states and how stone is sized/graded

/ Stone/Aggregate Sizing and terminology in your state #2  
Are you specifically looking for non crushed stone? I would not consider using round rock on a driveway.

/ Stone/Aggregate Sizing and terminology in your state
Are you specifically looking for non crushed stone? I would not consider using round rock on a driveway.
I am looking for the above 6 sizes and what they are commonly called in your state.

Maybe other states are different.....but in ohio.....#8 "gravel and #8 limestone are the same size. #4 gravel and #4 limestone are the same size. #304 gravel and #304 limestone are the SAME SIZE.

I dont care what the product is...or whether its crushed or not. Just looking for the sizing/grades to compile a state by state list

/ Stone/Aggregate Sizing and terminology in your state #4  
Here in southern IN, crushed limestone. Below is what I have used

#2, clean larger than golf ball, 2 x 3in? new drive way base
#5, clean 3/4 in, dustless flat drives, drainage rock
#7, clean 5/8 in, dustless flat drives, drainage rock
#53's, #5's and down with a lot of dust, well packed driveway, or "Kentucky concrete"
#11, pea gravel sized crushed stone, clean-ish
Chip and dust, good for top few inches under a slab. Easy to push, pull rake and compact.

When I say clean, it's not washed. Just screened. One rain and it's 98% dustless. Washed is available for most except the dust blends.

If the local crusher is running a lot clean stone, the dust is free if you pay the hauling bill.

I use 53's on my steep hill. I have had times when a lot the dust had washed out. I dumped a half load of dust over all the "marbles", and had new Kentucky concrete. Left over from the truck, traction for snow

I use #5 and #7 on my flat areas

/ Stone/Aggregate Sizing and terminology in your state
Here in southern IN, crushed limestone. Below is what I have used

#2, clean larger than golf ball, 2 x 3in? new drive way base
#5, clean 3/4 in, dustless flat drives, drainage rock
#7, clean 5/8 in, dustless flat drives, drainage rock
#53's, #5's and down with a lot of dust, well packed driveway, or "Kentucky concrete"
#11, pea gravel sized crushed stone, clean-ish
Chip and dust, good for top few inches under a slab. Easy to push, pull rake and compact.

When I say clean, it's not washed. Just screened. One rain and it's 98% dustless. Washed is available for most except the dust blends.

If the local crusher is running a lot clean stone, the dust is free if you pay the hauling bill.

I use 53's on my steep hill. I have had times when a lot the dust had washed out. I dumped a half load of dust over all the "marbles", and had new Kentucky concrete. Left over from the truck, traction for snow

I use #5 and #7 on my flat areas
Pretty much sounds like ohio. Our #57 is a #5 and #7 mix basically.

Google says your #53's are 1-1/2" to dust though....like our 304's. And 73's are the #5 to dust....or 3/4" to dust. Like our 411's. Is that incorrect?

I used to use alot of 304's. (1-1/2 to dust).....but didnt like how it always left random larger stone of the 1-1/2" size on top made it not a very nice drive and next to impossible to ever grade again without pulling up larger stone. I have stopped using it in lieu of 411's because the biggest in that mix is the 3/4" stuff (3/4" to dust)

/ Stone/Aggregate Sizing and terminology in your state #6  
The geology here is complicated, so the aggregate depends a great deal on the source (crushed rock vs river rock), and whether the parent rock is granite, quartz, or sedimentary.

Locally, only 3/8 pea gravel is well washed (triple) and relatively dust free. Other washed grades are a single rinse, not suitable in my mind for use in geotextile applications, like French drains or behind retaining walls without asking for a special triple wash run.

The local descriptions are primarily size, e.g. 1/2-3/4", or 3/4" minus, though there are a few grades that match road specifications that are numbered.
Graniterock: River Rock (the "clean" pea gravel)

Good luck,

Peter

/ Stone/Aggregate Sizing and terminology in your state #7  
IMG_4850.JPG

This is what the different sizes are called in Danville KY.

/ Stone/Aggregate Sizing and terminology in your state #8  
LD1,

You are likely correct about our 53's. There are some large rock in there. Once they surface it is an issue. Grading packed 53's is tricky. It must be moist to really get a bite and mix it back up. if to dry, you have a blade full of marbles!

Cost for stone here is pretty cheep, Last time I got a tri-axel of 53's it was $250-ish delivered. That is 20 tons spread.

/ Stone/Aggregate Sizing and terminology in your state #9  
Here is the basic description of FDOT Limerock. 97% must pass the 3-1/2" for base; for use as stabilization 97% must pass the 1-1/2". And of coarse meet the LBR100, and plasticity of less then 10.

You'll notice we don't call it "lime stone"; this is a pretty soft material, and the large rocks break as graded and rolled, with some rock mines have more or less chert or flint, but generally that is not desirable. I dont know if there is a northern equivalent.
Screenshot_20230406_172204_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20230406_172802_Google.jpg