Stick welding rail road metal

/ Stick welding rail road metal #1  

BMan2005

Platinum Member
Tractor
17' New Holland Workmaster 60 & 02' Kubota L3000F
Welding mild steel to rail road track. Asked a friend and he told me just turn up the amps some and weld it. I know the rail track is a high carbon but he said I shouldn’t have a problem without a pre heat. I was using 5/32 6011 to hopefully run just single passes and unless it’s structural I honestly just choose to keep my 7018 sealed. Metal was cleaned at weld joints good. Long story short you already probably know but one weld line about 20” long has a few hair line cracks center of the weld. All the rest seems fine.
Should I just grind it out and fill it back with 7018? Or heat it this time before?

Sorry my experience is always with mild carbon steel.

/ Stick welding rail road metal #2  
what is the application? pre heat would be my suggestion, do a higher amp root pass with 6011 once or twice & grind, then follow with a few multiple 7018 passes grinding if necessary. what is the intended use?
i might even suggest preheating rail w/rosebud prior to weld. regards

/ Stick welding rail road metal
It’s a gate post a metal gate hangs off of. Nothing that will have a lot of stress. Will it be fine with just the single pass of 6011 or does it need the 7018 cover pass?

Weld joints were Fillet and Lap joints. The one and first lap joint was the only one I had an issue with.

Last edited:
   / Stick welding rail road metal #4  
Where are you welding onto rail? I do believe its just the top of a rail, that is hardened. Tracks would be the whole system. Ties hold them togehter and keep everything from sinking into the earth and rails are what cars roll on.

/ Stick welding rail road metal #5  
It’s a gate post a metal gate hangs off of. Nothing that will have a lot of stress. Will it be fine with just the single pass of 6011 or does it need the 7018 cover pass?

Weld joints were Fillet and Lap joints. The one and first lap joint was the only one I can an issue with.
sounds like you're on the right path...how did you cut the rail?

Rail was already cut. And I welded on both top (where a car rail wheel rides) and the bottom flat that sits on the cross ties. The weld that showed hairline cracks in the weld was one of the welds on the bottom flat where the track would sit on the cross ties. All the others seem fine

/ Stick welding rail road metal #7  
sounds well planned & a cake walk for welding...maybe provide a final image installed on site
surely you'll let it rust for the effect, or will you paint over?
regards,

/ Stick welding rail road metal #8  
sounds well planned & a cake walk for welding...maybe provide a final image installed on site
surely you'll let it rust for the effect, or will you paint over?
regards,

It is a repair from heavy equipment breaking it off originally ground level a few months ago on an old woods road on the property that connects to an old county road. So it has to be repaired to keep drifters off the property. It was already in the property & they had it painted an ugly green. It won’t be anything beautiful to show off but what I have done is weld C channel on two sides that will set in the concrete as anchors and the rail track sitting flush and above ground level like before. Nothing beautiful but functional again.

I did add actual hinges I made to set on this time instead of bent metal pegs it used before. If you’d like pics I’ll be glad to share but it’s nothing glamorous

Last edited:
This a a pic of one of the cracks in the weld. Circled in blue. Probably about 5-6 like it down the 20” weld seam.

A26A02D9-98B1-42A3-8993-F8AC9E2C442D.jpeg