Steep snow performance of Toolcat 5600?

/ Steep snow performance of Toolcat 5600? #1  

aelsnow

Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5600
Greetings. I'm new to the forums and this is my first post. I searched these forums (and others) looking for an answer to this question, but I couldn't find it---hoping some of you can help me out.

I'm looking at a Toolcat 5600 for snow blowing, but I would like more information about its ability to keep traction in the snow on steep grades.

My TC would be used to clear out a cabin community in the Pacific Northwest.
The job involves (all dirt) steep access roads, steep driveways, some off-camber steep roads, and unavoidable side hills.

I plan to run an Erskine/QuickAttach 73" blower on it.
The snow often sits for 1-2 weeks between clearing, and worst case I need to clear 2'-3' of wet and/or frozen snow.
We currently do the job with a 60 HP tractor, chains on the rear wheels, and a 7' PTO blower.
The TC would replace this tractor.

If I put chains or studded tires on the Toolcat, does the TC's traction control and 4WD work well enough to handle a job like this?

This video of a TC 5600 (w/out chains) getting stuck in 1/2" of snow has me concerned about the 4WD capability:

Last edited:
   / Steep snow performance of Toolcat 5600? #2  
I live at 7,100' in CO and have been blowing our 12% grade, north facing driveways (actually a loop driveway) since the winter of 2008. Parts of it are off-camber as well. I have a 72" Bobcat SB200 blower with the High Torque fan motor option. The HT fan doesn't blow the snow as far as the High Speed, Lower Torque option but it will chew through heavy snow well. My 2009 series D doesn't have the traction control of the newer models. I use good quality chains on all 4 tires and have several hundred pounds of sand in the bed. I've never gotten stuck, even when the drives are really iced up but it's tried a few times on the off-camber sections. The crab steering really helps if you do slide sideways. I'm careful and take my time. Weight, high rpm and slow going wins the day. The key is, if the snowpack is winning, stop, re-access your approach and try something different before you dig yourself into a jam. In my experience, trying to gorilla your way through something usually means your going to loose. The newer units with the traction control are suppose to be even better. If you get 3 feet of wet, heavy snow, I suggest taking the the snow down in a couple of layers if you can. In the video you attached, he's approaching the slope at a 45 degree angle rather than at 90 degrees and is on wet slippery grass. I don't know that studs will help you much in deep snow. The chains really do help. I've got the 29" tires on mine in lieu of the std. 27's. Every little but helps.

Last edited:
   / Steep snow performance of Toolcat 5600? #3  
I think a lot will depend on your terrain. I'm at the edge of the snow belt in a hilly area and tend to see guys getting their skidsteer snowblowers stuck pretty frequently. Too low to the ground. In town using chains on level ground they do ok. I also find that many hydraulic feed units can't throw the snow very far. You are going to want hi-flow >20GPM.

/ Steep snow performance of Toolcat 5600? #4  
That's my video and I intentionally picked out the weakness of open diffs that the newer units have (without electronic aid of traction control). In general I dont get stuck in snow with just the R4 tires. However I think a 60hp tractor is better at not getting stuck due to large diameter rear tires. The toolcat will likely handle what you are asking it to do esp with chains.

Check out my other toolcat videos that arent staged: Bobcat Toolcat and Skid Steer At Work: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8d9FovK2dNT1P2xH4pZ_NBi1n8yMM_MJ

/ Steep snow performance of Toolcat 5600? #5  
Put good studded chains on her and it will work,
such as the Aquiline, TRYGG or OFA's.
They will grip better then any other style of conventional tire chains.

/ Steep snow performance of Toolcat 5600? #6  
Weight, narrow large cleated tires, locking differentials, electronic TC all help with snow removal. If possible, buy the biggest heaviest tractor you can......

/ Steep snow performance of Toolcat 5600? #7  
The Toolcat has small tires and lacks ground clearance compared to a tractor. It does have centralized weight, all wheel steer, and traction control. The OP's description makes it sound like chains would be mandated. With the suspension and weight, I have found that the tires stay planted and don't spin much. The traction control seems to be the type that applies the brake to the spinning tires and it isn't as quick acting as a car/truck. I did get my TC stuck twice last year. I drove up on a snow pile and with not much ground clearance, I was stuck. The other time I misjudged where my culvert was and got stuck in the ditch. I think a set of narrow winter tires with GOOD chains (check for clearances) would be fine when blowing as this video shows:

/ Steep snow performance of Toolcat 5600?
Thanks all for the detailed feedback.
Very helpful.

Last edited:
   / Steep snow performance of Toolcat 5600? #9  
FWIW, I live in an area where we get 300+ inches of snow a year. I purchased peerless auto-trac chains and couldn't be happier.

/ Steep snow performance of Toolcat 5600? #10  
Yea... chains... or studs for hills.
Turf tires are interesting on ice....

But the operator can deal with the lack of ground clearance as long as you are aware of it.

The 400# I hung off the hitch does help a fair bit. This is an F with the open diffs. The open diffs don't matter too much, if you are on mostly even ground. But if you get one wheel up high somewhere, you can get stuck real easy. The traction control at least gets you out of those spots on the newer ones.