Spryer Pump Question

/ Spryer Pump Question #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
My 3 point sprayer pump quit working this weekend. I went to TSC this morning and bought a new one. They had the same pump in 3 different variations, anywhere from 90 bucks up to $230. Well, I don't do any real heavy duty spraying so my Irish blood kicked in and I got the one for $90. When I got back to my office I started reading the information about the new pump and wouldn't you know it. They say I need the top of the line pump when using roundup. Apparently Glysophate is very corrosive will wear out the el cheapo pretty quickly. I do spray glysophate quite a bit so I guess I should take this one back and spring for the expensive one. You know, the old penny wise and lb. foolish thing. Anyone have any comments or experience with this situation?

/ Spryer Pump Question #2  
I use the El cheapo pump with roundup with no problems. Just be sure and flush it out good when done. I am sure the high dolar one is much better, but no problems yet.

/ Spryer Pump Question #3  
I believe that roundup is pretty tough on rubber and nylon seals and washers. Use a neutralizer in the pump after you spray and it should have a pretty long life. Just make sure that you fill, spray, and flush all within a few hour time frame. Don't let the roundup have a chance to sit in the pump.

/ Spryer Pump Question #4  
Just to rely on others experience. I just bought a Northstar spray rig. If I fill it up and say spray glysophate on a couple of spots but don’t finish is it ok to leave the mixture and finish in the next day or so or do I have to drain, flush and put it back in the next day or so. How long can I safely leave gly in?

/ Spryer Pump Question #5  
How long you can leave the gly in depends on the pump. I have 2, one is a roller the other a diaphram. The roller is not compatable with gly but I had to use it with gly one time to spray 7 acres. Even though it only took an hour (or maybe 2?) and I flushed it and lubed it, the gly destroyed the pump. The diaphram is compatible with gly and I've had the stuff sit in the tank for days and it still worked as it should. Use pumps and components rated for gly.

/ Spryer Pump Question #6  
Empty tank while spraying and rinse with clear water..... El Cheapo pump on my sprayer lasted over 10 years, new El Cheapo pump 2 years so far....

/ Spryer Pump Question #8  
I used the basic model with Roundup for several years. Seldom did it sit in the pump but could it have over night, possibly. I have quick disconnects on my pump which when done spraying I cut the tank off, drop the pump and place it in bucket of used oil. Has served me well.

/ Spryer Pump Question #9  
Lots of good advice thanks. I need to do some checking on what I have.