South West Virginia

/ South West Virginia #12  
Went to a Boy Scout camp just west of Mt Airy a couple times. Nice area down there.

/ South West Virginia #13  
I had to laugh... I texted my buddy from WV who is now living in NC, and told him you couldn't tell the difference if you were driving in WV or rural Vermont....

View attachment 729074
People shooting at road signs, go figure LMAO

I'm getting old. Loved the area, but I couldn't help but think were is the closest hospital? LOL
The Vermont reference is very true. So is the hospital thought. We probably would have ended up in Alexander County NC had we not realized there wasn't a hospital in the whole county.

/ South West Virginia #14  
Never went by Galax on this trip. Although it was only 60 miles away, with all the switchbacks, it was like driving 421 past Mountain City in Tennessee (meaning if you could get over 45MPH you'd be lucky).

It was a good trip. Phone GPS didn't work, and I had to stop at a interesting gas station on how to get to 81 (out of the parking lot, go a mile, turn left at the post office and just keep going LOL).
We keep old school Garmins for the high country. Phone GPS works indefinitely if you have a destination programmed in. God help you if you don't.

/ South West Virginia #15  
Southwest Virginia, that's GOD's country for sure. I love going back there where my ancestors lived for so many years.

/ South West Virginia #16  
Never went by Galax on this trip. Although it was only 60 miles away, with all the switchbacks, it was like driving 421 past Mountain City in Tennessee (meaning if you could get over 45MPH you'd be lucky).

It was a good trip. Phone GPS didn't work, and I had to stop at a interesting gas station on how to get to 81 (out of the parking lot, go a mile, turn left at the post office and just keep going LOL).
421 from Mountain City towards Shady Valley is known as the snake,fun motorcycle ride.

/ South West Virginia
Went to a Boy Scout camp just west of Mt Airy a couple times. Nice area down there.
Camp Raven Knob. Good times.

CR1.png

The Climbing wall was built I'm guessing about 5 years ago. Generally a big hit with the boys no matter how many times they go.

CR2.png

/ South West Virginia #19  
Camp Raven Knob. Good times.

View attachment 729091

The Climbing wall was built I'm guessing about 5 years ago. Generally a big hit with the boys no matter how many times they go.

View attachment 729092

Yep, been there twice. They have a great facility.
Last time was with both boys, so it’s been a few years.

Also did blue ridge scout reservation near Radford, up by the new river, they have a zip line across their lake, that was fun.

Our counsel camp is goshen, outside of Lexington va.

Last edited:
   / South West Virginia #20  
2007 and 2011. Can’t believe it’s been that long ago
20110714_Scouts_CampRavenKnob__2754.jpeg