SO EXCITED ... and perhaps a bit sentimental (UPDATED)

/ SO EXCITED ... and perhaps a bit sentimental (UPDATED) #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
I don't have many photos with my late father who passed away in 1985 when I was 20 yrs old. One of my favourite photos however, is with Dad, as groundskeeper for the community hospital. I was 2 years old, and we are photographed on his Jacobsen Chief lawn tractor. I saw that photo for the first time when it was given to me three years ago, after my mother's passing. I decided that I wanted to try and locate a Jacobsen mower, and possibly restore it. Using the photo, the search was on, and I had never actually seen such a beast.

Yesterday, while casually looking for a freezer in the local online ads, I saw a ride on mower believed to be a Bolens brand. Closer inspection showed me that it was actually a JACOBSEN SUPER CHIEF 1450 lawn tractor, 14 hp, manufactured between 1969-1971. Wow ! I contacted the seller within 45 minutes of the ad being posted. The machine was in a neighbouring Province so I couldn't even consider buying it, without having a solid plan to have it picked up. To complicate things further, there are Covid-19 Travel Restrictions in place at this time.

I called a friend who agreed to pick up the tractor and hang on to it for me, if I was able to buy it. I paid for the tractor, and even now the details are still getting sorted out. So 50+ years after that photo with Dad, I will have a Jacobsen lawn tractor. That made my day !!!

It is a working machine, and I will be looking for a mower deck yet. This is going to be fun. :) Happy

Attachments

• 190965961_10160105040655649_780100861045076634_n.jpg
    190965961_10160105040655649_780100861045076634_n.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 241
  • 242596365_962452994332769_3502718675608095738_n good.jpg
    242596365_962452994332769_3502718675608095738_n good.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
   / SO EXCITED ... and perhaps a bit sentimental (UPDATED) #2  
Outstanding. (y)

/ SO EXCITED ... and perhaps a bit sentimental (UPDATED)
Thank You Thomas, pretty cool find - I should have it home in July. :)

/ SO EXCITED ... and perhaps a bit sentimental (UPDATED) #4  
Very cool! Hope it works out for you. Nice to restore an old machine, but having that sentimental value is priceless. (y)

/ SO EXCITED ... and perhaps a bit sentimental (UPDATED) #5  
I don't have many photos with my late father who passed away in 1985 when I was 20 yrs old. One of my favourite photos however, is with Dad, as groundskeeper for the community hospital. I was 2 years old, and we are photographed on his Jacobsen Chief lawn tractor. I saw that photo for the first time when it was given to me three years ago, after my mother's passing. I decided that I wanted to try and locate a Jacobsen mower, and possibly restore it. Using the photo, the search was on, and I had never actually seen such a beast.

Yesterday, while casually looking for a freezer in the local online ads, I saw a ride on mower believed to be a Bolens brand. Closer inspection showed me that it was actually a JACOBSEN SUPER CHIEF 1450 lawn tractor, 14 hp, manufactured between 1969-1971. Wow ! I contacted the seller within 45 minutes of the ad being posted. The machine was in a neighbouring Province so I couldn't even consider buying it, without having a solid plan to have it picked up. To complicate things further, there are Covid-19 Travel Restrictions in place at this time.

I called a friend who agreed to pick up the tractor and hang on to it for me, if I was able to buy it. I paid for the tractor, and even now the details are still getting sorted out. So 50+ years after that photo with Dad, I will have a Jacobsen lawn tractor. That made my day !!!

It is a working machine, and I will be looking for a mower deck yet. This is going to be fun. :) Happy
Hey scaredychicken! Your story gave me goose bumps ! & That is awesome & :cool: , That You will be able to do a tribute/restoration in memory of your Father! Can't wait to see how it goes.

Hey scaredychicken! Your story gave me goose bumps ! & That is awesome & :cool: , That You will be able to do a tribute/restoration in memory of your Father! Can't wait to see how it goes.
my friend in Alberta is picking the tractor up in a couple of hours, we will meet (for the first time) when she delivers it here in the summer. :)

/ SO EXCITED ... and perhaps a bit sentimental (UPDATED) #7  
my friend in Alberta is picking the tractor up in a couple of hours, we will meet (for the first time) when she delivers it here in the summer. :)
I'm sure your going to be quite happy taking possession soon! Keep us posted (y).

/ SO EXCITED ... and perhaps a bit sentimental (UPDATED) #8  
That's a tough looking tractor.

UPDATE: my sweet friend in Alberta picked up the Jacobsen tractor for me this afternoon. She seems very pleased with it and says that it hums nicely. She has it in her possession now and is going to take it for a drive around the block later today. I need photos, video.

... come to think of it, I may need to bribe her just to have her let it go :) I might never see it otherwise.

excited

Safely tucked away at my friend's place. It looks to be Larger than I anticipated (yay), and she says that it is loud (yay ?) and hums nicely.
1622398391408.png
this is the second photo that I have (tire chains are on the seat)