Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #101  
Not exactly cheap. $200 per inch of width!

View attachment 783192

View attachment 783191
For that price I'd expect I could buy 3 or 4 Chinesium 72 inch snowblowers. Mine is showing no issues at all even if there is some less than perfect construction. The only maintenance has been adjusting the auger chain tensioner and I will change the gear oil at the of the season. Should last me as long as I will need it.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #102  
Nice set-up!
When you recover from the expenditure,are thinking about a cab tractor for that long road?
Good Luck!

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted
Nice set-up!
When you recover from the expenditure,are thinking about a cab tractor for that long road?
Good Luck!

Thank you!

As for a cab tractor, maybe someday, but I think it would be hard to justify. Clearing the road is pretty much the only task I would want to use it for, for most everything else I prefer the open station. Besides clearing snow, I use my tractor primarily for logging and clearing land, processing firewood, and occasionally grading roads. I typically end up working by myself, so I spend a lot of time getting off the tractor to hook up chains/cable, work up firewood, adjust implements, ect. I really wouldn't spend enough time in the cab to justify having one.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #104  
Thank you!

As for a cab tractor, maybe someday, but I think it would be hard to justify. Clearing the road is pretty much the only task I would want to use it for, for most everything else I prefer the open station. Besides clearing snow, I use my tractor primarily for logging and clearing land, processing firewood, and occasionally grading roads. I typically end up working by myself, so I spend a lot of time getting off the tractor to hook up chains/cable, work up firewood, adjust implements, ect. I really wouldn't spend enough time in the cab to justify having one.
One degree below zero, blowing snow in 20-30 mph winds. I wouldn't have been able to clear a mile and a half of road without a cab. Yet, for most work during the spring and early summer, I prefer open station. I wish somebody made a convertible tractor cab with heat and AC.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #105  
I did! I had just logged on to update the thread, so I'm glad you asked.

I picked up the 84" blower and 84" snow pusher Wednesday afternoon, got them attached Wednesday evening, and got to test them out last night with 3" of the wettest, heaviest snow we typically receive around here. Definitely heavy enough that it would've been a chore to wing over with the 8' FEL plow even though it was only 3" deep.

My first impression - very impressed. The WIFO cleared that snow load easily throwing the snow 20-25', and honestly the Mahindra handled the 84" blower with ease. I was able to run in L4 which equates to 3.27 MPH at rated RPM (2300). I typically plow in M1 or M2 at about 1500 RPM, so the speed ends up being about the same. My road is hazardous enough that I don't have any desire to travel faster than that anyways, so no complaints there.

Power-wise, I didn't have any problems. I set the engine speed at 2300/540 PTO RPM and chugged right along without issue using about 2/3 throttle. I encountered a few drifts of deeper snow and the engine would bog slightly to 2100-2200 RPM, then chew through the snow and rise back to its set speed. If I added throttle with the foot pedal when it bogged I could maintain 2300/540 RPM. Never had the need to use 100% throttle. Knowing this, I feel like the tractor/blower combo could handle at least another 1-2" of wet, heavy snow while traveling at the fastest speed that I care to use. So, I don't believe I have anything to complain about. I'm looking forward to trying it out in deeper, lighter snow for comparison.

Efficiency-wise, for this storm I was actually able to clear everything faster than I had previously been able to using the 8' FEL plow. Granted, compared to the plow, the 7' snow pusher made short work of the short, tight areas I use it for. But, for the long stretch of the road, I found the blower to be far superior to the plow.
With the plow, I would make one full-width pass with an angled blade, then two more passes at about half-width to completely clear the road. Then, as previously mentioned, I would swap the plow for the bucket and work diagonally down the road pushing the banks over the edge. With the blower, I was able to make a full pass down and a full pass back up, then the road was completely cleared and the snow was 20' over the edge. Win/win in my opinion.

I'm very much looking forward to using it in a storm of larger snowfall to see how it compares to the plow. But, as of right now I don't have any complaints about it, in fact I wish I had purchased one years ago. I've attached a few pre/post-storm pictures of the setup. I was too focused and excited while I was using it to stop for pictures.

So, thanks to everybody for the advice! Mikester (pg. 8) can get bent as far as I'm concerned, but most everyone else posted helpful content and I'm appreciative. I'll try to keep the thread updated once I try the blower out in some deeper snow.
Congrats,
Glad its working out well.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted
Congrats,
Glad its working out well.

Thank you!

Yup, very happy with it so far. Just need some more snow to fall so I can try it out in some other conditions.

Bought some new snow removal tools and of course now we're experiencing unseasonably warm temps with not a flake of snow forecast for the next 10 days. We had been experiencing 1-3 snowfalls per week fairly consistently. I have a feeling there's more to come, though. March typically produces some of the heaviest storms for us.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #108  
Once you own an inverted it is tough to go back. I run Cyclones. Beautiful blower but not something I would consider home owner friendly. I think all of us overthink snow blowing. I cannot name many blowers that actually fell apart. Blowing distance is partially fan size and fan tolerance. If you have trouble blowing wet stuff tighten up your tolerance. An inverted is nothing more than a box blade with an auger and fan on it.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #109  
Once you own an inverted it is tough to go back. I run Cyclones. Beautiful blower but not something I would consider home owner friendly. I think all of us overthink snow blowing. I cannot name many blowers that actually fell apart. Blowing distance is partially fan size and fan tolerance. If you have trouble blowing wet stuff tighten up your tolerance. An inverted is nothing more than a box blade with an auger and fan on it.

I have the Cyclone on my short list. Why do you consider it not homeowner friendly? Cost wise I can see that.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #110  
Due to price. To me it is the best of the best but not many homeowners need something like that. If you do want a blower that may outlive you Cyclone may be it. Stupid thing is heavy. If money is no object Cyclone is the way to go. When I was just snow blowing my house I ran mess cheaper blowers that did just fine.