Small hydraulic-powered chipper/shredder?

/ Small hydraulic-powered chipper/shredder? #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
Anyone know how to build one? Or where to buy one cheap? Anyone willing to build one for me? I have a Power-trac 1418 with hydraulic remotes, and I could really use a small, inexpensive chipper/shredder that I could carry or tow with, and power off of, the Power-trac. Something like the 5HP gasoline powered type, but with a hydraulic motor to run it instead of a gasoline engine.

Please post any ideas!

Regards,
Dave

/ Small hydraulic-powered chipper/shredder? #2  
Heat is the problem with running a motor off a remote. You can cook (ruin the seals) a transmission fast. Even if you have the flow, unless you have the other prerequisites such as a large hydraulic fluid tank and/or cooler you're running a risk.

If you haven't already checked with the manufacturer, that's the first thing to do. With a Power-trac, you might be able to do it. With most small and medium tractors, it's a no no. If Power-trac gives you the go ahead, I'd still add a transmssion fluid temperature gauge. I think you're limited to the low 200 degrees to prevent damage.

/ Small hydraulic-powered chipper/shredder?
Thanks for the post, Darren. I will check with Power-trac first, but I think it should be fine. Power-trac makes attachments such as a hydraulic stump grinder (which I have), a hydraulic power-auger (which I have), a hydraulic tiller, hydraulic trencher, etc. I thinking that a hydraulic chipper/shredder would be very similar to the hydraulic stump grinder in it's operating characteristics (assuming it uses a very similar hydraulic motor).

If you're interested see www.power-trac.com for details on newer models, or see www.ipass.net/~davesisk/tractor.htm for my old model.

Dave

/ Small hydraulic-powered chipper/shredder?
Oh, and btw, it actually uses 10 gallons of 10W40 motor oil as the hydraulic fluid...

Dave