Simple cargo bench modification (1/8" steel, using 120v MIG wire-feed welder)

/ Simple cargo bench modification (1/8" steel, using 120v MIG wire-feed welder) #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
Can't find many 120v projects on this forum so here's one of mine.
I used a 120v MIG (Miller 135) with Argon/CO2 gas for this project.

This lightweight Aluminum cargo bench was on-sale at Home Depot for $60, and looked like a good deal until I put it on the car, and noticed the exhaust blasts is directly at the bench which would melt the (danged plastic!) corners, and would certainly ruin any cargo on the bench. I bet that's the reason it was on clearance, too many people using them on minivans, with the hitch and the exhaust at same level. Well no matter, It was an easy project.

378930d1402590475-simple-cargo-bench-modification-1-a-cargobench2-jpg

378931d1402590475-simple-cargo-bench-modification-1-a-cargobench3ex-jpg

You can see from the pics that I had to cut it at 45deg and add a 5" vertical section and some braces.

378932d1402591320-simple-cargo-bench-modification-1-a-cargobench7-jpg

The larger sq tube is 1/8" and the smaller brace (tube) is 1/16" thickness. There is a 1/8" flat bar brace too.
Other ways these steel thickness are described is "11ga" (=.120") and "16ga" (=.065")

378933d1402591320-simple-cargo-bench-modification-1-a-cargobench6-jpg

378934d1402591320-simple-cargo-bench-modification-1-a-cargobench5-jpg

Here's the box.

378929d1402590475-simple-cargo-bench-modification-1-a-cargobench4-jpg

Attachments

• CargoBench4.jpg
    CargoBench4.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 778
  • CargoBench2.JPG
    CargoBench2.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,929
  • CargoBench3ex.jpg
    CargoBench3ex.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 880
  • CargoBench7.jpg
    CargoBench7.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 920
  • CargoBench6.jpg
    CargoBench6.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 1,109
  • CargoBench5.jpg
    CargoBench5.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 889
Last edited:
   / Simple cargo bench modification (1/8" steel, using 120v MIG wire-feed welder) #2  
Re: Simple cargo bench modification (1/8" steel, using 120v MIG wire-feed welder)

You're pretty handy with that mig. :thumbsup:

/ Simple cargo bench modification (1/8" steel, using 120v MIG wire-feed welder) #3  
Re: Simple cargo bench modification (1/8" steel, using 120v MIG wire-feed welder)

Nice XC90 :D
On the your brace picture, how well did it penetrate on the heavier metal? See how the weld has flowed "into" the metal of the brace and the main tube (blue line), but is "on top" of the main tube metal (red line)?
CargoBench6.jpg
When I built a trailer for our RTV I welded on a stake pocket (the rear pocket on the left side of the trailer, as seen below) with a Millermatic 211 running on 120v. I had a weld that looked like that and the first time that weld got any real stress (loading branches with the tailgate off), it broke off.
View attachment 315153

Aaron Z

/ Simple cargo bench modification (1/8" steel, using 120v MIG wire-feed welder)

Hi Aaron, I'm certain that this weld is solid, I can see the pool in the base metal while welding it. Probably looks piled up on the 1/8" because I was staying on the heavier side, avoiding burn thru on the thin .065. I could have slowed down the wire a little but didn't. Can't explain better than that.

The only way I can offer any help is to see the specific weld you're referring to.

/ Simple cargo bench modification (1/8" steel, using 120v MIG wire-feed welder) #5  

The only way I can offer any help is to see the specific weld you're referring to.
My weld looked similar to yours, that's why I mentioned it. I have since re-welded the stake pocket (with a 220v stick welder that I inherited) and it held against a sledgehammer test.

Aaron Z

/ Simple cargo bench modification (1/8" steel, using 120v MIG wire-feed welder) #6  

My weld looked similar to yours, that's why I mentioned it. I have since re-welded the stake pocket (with a 220v stick welder that I inherited) and it held against a sledgehammer test.

Aaron Z
Aaron just for your knowledge;). The length of the legs on those welds are way to long for the depth of the throat.

Attachments

• Throat.gif
    Throat.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 454
  • 250.jpg
    250.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 759
   / Simple cargo bench modification (1/8" steel, using 120v MIG wire-feed welder) #7  

Shield - a question for you to increase my knowledge! :)

Are you saying that the weld is too "spread out"? In other words, using your diagram, the "toe" is too far from the "root" given the thickness of the "throat"?

NOT trying to be smart, cute or stir things up (even more than they're already stirred up between you and Sodo!!) - just trying to learn something.

Sodo - THANKS for posting this stuff! I am always curious about what other folks are building.

/ Simple cargo bench modification (1/8" steel, using 120v MIG wire-feed welder) #8  

That's right mark02tj. Those welds are really weak! You'll see that a lot on welds done vertical down.
The picture I posted of the weld gauge, the black lines are where the toes are suppose to be, The center metal shows the depth of the throat of the weld.
You can't blame the welding machine for this, this is the weldors fault.

/ Simple cargo bench modification (1/8" steel, using 120v MIG wire-feed welder) #9  

Wow, it's personal now isn't it. You two need to back away from the keyboard and get some fresh air. I always thought this forum was a way of Sharing ideas and techniques, but this sucks. I have built and repaired many things with both types of welders, and I know the valid points each of you have made. So does every other member here.. Please, give it a rest. I will all ways look forward to the future posts you have to share. No one does there self any good by belittling others. If every one was a expert then we wouldn't need this forum, would we?
Yours truly, Ken

/ Simple cargo bench modification (1/8" steel, using 120v MIG wire-feed welder) #10  

Wow, it's personal now isn't it.
Not at all Ken. Sodo himself said he would like to see more education from the pros. Is there anything in my posts that are not educational?