Should I buy this 1949 Allis Chalmaers C?

/ Should I buy this 1949 Allis Chalmaers C? #1  

Rob41

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
I always thought most people that had vintage tractors like this either had it passed down or found one like grandpa used to have. Thinking it was just for the nostalgia.

Here I am, a guy who didn't grow up on a farm and nobody in my family unless you go way back has either. I just got my first tractor (Kubota M7040) that suits my needs, and yet I'm drawn to this little Allis Chalmers.

The current owner uses it with a 6' finish mower but I have a zero turn. I could however, use it with a 4"-5' flail mower to keep the weeds at bay on the trails of my property. A small flail would be perfect with one drive in and one drive out. So for a total of around $3,500-$3,800 I'd be set with tractor and mower to do about a mile of 7-8ft wide trails maybe 7-10 times a year. And get to enjoy a neat little vintage tractor.

The little Allis Chalmers looks to be in nice condition other than maybe needing a replacement battery box which are available and replacing the LED light assemblies with something more period appropriate. I believe he did do the 12v conversion which is nice. I'm pretty sure I can get it for less than 2k.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1949 Allis Chalmers C.jpg
    1949 Allis Chalmers C.jpg
    827.6 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
   / Should I buy this 1949 Allis Chalmaers C? #2  
Just so you understand it’s an Allis Chalmers C, not a Farmall C made by International Harvester.

/ Should I buy this 1949 Allis Chalmaers C?
Woops, you are right of course. I was looking at two tractors.

Thanks Rick, I fixed it.

/ Should I buy this 1949 Allis Chalmaers C? #4  
It's a nice looking machine and all. Something to have around for nostalgia or just enjoyment. However, I think I'd rather use a zero turn mowing established trails than a tricycle geared tractor with a flail mower. Especially if you're going to be doing them that many times per year. The grasses shouldn't get that high between mowings, and, the more often you do them, the faster you can mow.

So just questioning why you wouldn't use the zero turn on the trails since you already have it?

I try and maintain several miles of trails on our property, and find that the more often I mow them, the less actual time it takes to mow. If I lived out there, I'd mow them every week, just like the lawn. It would only take me 40ish minutes to mow 2 miles of trails double width.

/ Should I buy this 1949 Allis Chalmaers C?
I would not take my zero turn on my trails. Some are just fine but others have too many rocks. Not bad to drive a quad on or walk on but enough to really ding up blades.

When I got my zero turn I relegated my 4 year old cub cadet riding mower to a kind of brush hog duty on the trails. A few trails are too small for my tractor. I don't want to over-improve the trails....I like to keep it a bit more natural. I have to get out at least once a year to trim branches back on some trails but me and the critters like it that way :)

I suppose I should just go with what I have and not spend the money needlessly. I don't need to get into a collecting mode.

/ Should I buy this 1949 Allis Chalmaers C? #6  
I could use the Allis with a 4' - 5' flail mower to keep the weeds at bay on the trails of my property.

Harry Ferguson's patents on the (Ferguson) Three Point Hitch, licensed to Ford but not Allis Chalmers, did not expire until the mid-1950's.

It is probable this 1949 AC/C has an AC proprietary rear hitch which will function conveniently only with scarce proprietary AC implements. Question the owner.
Somewhat ersatz aftermarket Three Point Hitch conversions are still available.

Not viable over hilly land.

Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
   / Should I buy this 1949 Allis Chalmaers C? #7  

Allis Chalmers C​

Allis Chalmers C tractor photo
1940 - 1949
Row-Crop tractor
Series:C
Production
Manufacturer:Allis Chalmers
Type:Row-Crop tractor
Factory:West Allis, Wisconsin, USA
Total built:84,020
Original price:$1,200 (1949 )

Allis Chalmers C Power
Plows:2
Drawbar (tested):18.4 hp
13.7 kW
PTO (tested):23.30 hp
17.4 kW
power test details ...
Allis Chalmers C Engines
Allis Chalmers 2.1L 4-cyl distillate
Allis-Chalmers 2.1L 4-cyl gasoline
Fuel tank:13 gal
49.2 L
Mechanical
Chassis:4x2 2WD
Steering:manual
Brakes:mechanical drum
Cab:Open operator station.
Transmission:3-speed non-synchronized gear
Transmission details ...
Power Take-off (PTO)
Rear PTO:transmission
Rear RPM:560
Dimensions & Tires
Wheelbase:77 inches
195 cm
Weight:2500 lbs
1134 kg
Front tire:4.00-15
Rear tire:9.00-24

/ Should I buy this 1949 Allis Chalmaers C? #8  
I'd love to have one but that paint job would make me look very closely for other corners cut during the restoration job. Looks like it was split and painted at different times with different colors maybe?

/ Should I buy this 1949 Allis Chalmaers C? #9  
I have never operated a tricycle tractor, but I have rolled many a Honda 3 wheeler back in the day.

Honest question for those who have experience with a tractor like this, are they safe for working in hilly areas?

/ Should I buy this 1949 Allis Chalmaers C? #10  
I have many hours on a tricycle International H, and the front makes it SEEM like it's going to go over, but in reality it's not that much different than a spread out front articulating axle.
A wide front end is false security.