Shibuara s-900 engine info??? Tractor is stuck in gear also .

/ Shibuara s-900 engine info??? Tractor is stuck in gear also . #1  

topfli8979

Tractor
Ford 1215
Bought as a project tractor thinking it was a Yanmar but turned out to be a shibaura. Tractors stuck in gear cannot get to go into neutral I've gone through all the movements on the shifters to no avail.

Anyone know these tractors?

Attachments

• IMG_20171227_152753087-3936x2952.jpg
    IMG_20171227_152753087-3936x2952.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 402
   / Shibuara s-900 engine info??? Tractor is stuck in gear also . #2  
My old Ferguson sticks in 2nd gear fairly often. In this type of tranny (gears moved directly by shift lever, without linkage) it is not too unusual for them to stick in one gear or another, and usually happens if someone forces the lever too hard of too fast. The lower end of the shift lever falls out of the slot it belongs in. On the Ferguson , I have a couple of ways of getting it out of gear, both pretty easy. The first most common way; There is a pin that holds the shift lever in place right where the lever goes into the tranny. I drive that pin out and then lift and re-insert the shift lever in a different place until it shifts. The second way is I pull the oil fill plug and physically slide the gears on their shaft with a long screwdriver. Both work. I have seen this done on other tractors too. Hopefully yours is similar.
I would pull the shift lever out and inspect it. There is a probably a rounded section on the bottom of the lever that fits into the shift mechanism. If that isn't broken off, try the above methods if they apply.

/ Shibuara s-900 engine info??? Tractor is stuck in gear also . #3  
The S900 is from the 70"s. I don't have a parts book for that model. Look for an engine model. Could be cast in the block, Starts with 1 or 3 letters followed by three #s. First two are the bore, 3rd is # of cylinders.

/ Shibuara s-900 engine info??? Tractor is stuck in gear also . #4  
Bought as a project tractor thinking it was a Yanmar but turned out to be a shibaura. Tractors stuck in gear cannot get to go into neutral I've gone through all the movements on the shifters to no avail.

Anyone know these tractors?

The internal shifter forks which move the internal gears have come out of their synchronized positions. Remove the cover and shift lever, move all shifter forks to the neutral position and reinstall the cover.

Make certain after you realign forks, the clutch is fully disengaging and you pause between shifts to allow the forks to stay where they belong. The when new design has interlocking components, usually ball bearings and springs, to keep forks synchronized but as they wear you can develop the problem you now have.

Dave M7040