Shibaura SD1840 manual & hydraulics question

/ Shibaura SD1840 manual & hydraulics question #1  

bigRtractor

Yucca Valley/High Desert-Southern California
Tractor
Shibaura SD1840
Howdy!

I just aquired a Shibaura SD1840 from a barter with a good friend. He's had the tractor for a few years and had alot of work done to it but doesnt know much about it himself. Here are my questions:
1. I have been trying to find an operators manual and repair manual in English but cannot find any on the www other than parts manuals. Can anyone give me a direct link or source?
2. I know that the loader and backhoe work but for some reason the hydraulic fluid is all burning off or leaking out in a very short period of time. I am not sure whats going on other than fluid coming out of what my friend thought was an overflow blowby hose near the bottom left hand side of the engine. Can anyone assist me on a remedy for this frustrating situation?

Thank you!
R.J.

/ Shibaura SD1840 manual & hydraulics question #2  
If you know how many cylinders it has, as well as the horsepower, you could maybe figure what Ford it compares to. I've been told the biggest difference is the Fords have more safety features, but it seems the Ford manuals would be way easier to find. Even if only some of the info applied, it is a start. As far as the hydraulics, I would first change the filter ( unless your friend just did) It should have either a spin on filter behind where your left foot would be, or the older suction screen on the right side I believe.

/ Shibaura SD1840 manual & hydraulics question #4  
Sounds like a Ford 1500 or 1600. I believe all the 00's were 2 cyl while the 10's were 3 cyl. Say, does your tractor have 2 shifters, each with 3 gears?

/ Shibaura SD1840 manual & hydraulics question
Thank you...To get a new filter would I bring the old one in to a parts store and say its from a FORD or how would I go about getting one? Could it be the pump itself? Hydraulic Oil seems to be coming out of the tube that comes off of the head

As far as the shifters, it has a standard type in the middle and an auto type to the left of that. It has a knob under the seat and levers on the left and right Im trying to figure out because I have no manual

Thanks for your help

/ Shibaura SD1840 manual & hydraulics question #7  
Okay....not quite like mine. The knob under the seat should adjust the speed at which the 3pt arms lower. My 1600 has a 3 central shifters. The far left shifter controls the PTO. My 1710 has a different PTO control, its a thin lever kind of under the seat and to the left. Now it gets strange...You have a spin on filter, and 2 cyl...I don't think Ford ever offered that. I searched some, and learned the 1600 was not available as a 4wd. It was replaced by the 1700, which was available as 4wd, like the 1500. But they both lacked spin on hydraulic filters, I'm fairly certain. I just changed the hydraulic filter on my 1710. Unless your filter has a number somewhere on it, go to a Napa. They are very good at matching filters that don't have numbers.

/ Shibaura SD1840 manual & hydraulics question #8  
Went to the shed, the number on my filter is a Napa 1736. They told me it's uncommon, but a easy special order. Took 2 days to arrive. The only way I know to bleed the air is to use the hydraulics. If you have a loader, run the functions. If you don't have a loader, raise and lower the 3 pt arms. If you can post pictures, I might be able to tell you the tractor's controls. Don't feel bad if you can't post them, since I can't either.

/ Shibaura SD1840 manual & hydraulics question
Holy Crap I just found out if I need a new hydraulic pump its $450 & $26 for an adapter ring. Is there any way to rebuild them or get a less expensive pump?

Thank you!