Shape/materials for a hand-loaded, non-scooping FEL "bucket"?

/ Shape/materials for a hand-loaded, non-scooping FEL "bucket"? #1  

p0diabl0

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
I'd like to build a metal version of the picture attached, but with a SSQA blank I already have, and preferably with scraps of metal I have on hand if possible. There's a 5'x4' metal mesh trailer ramp someone left on my property a year back that might be suitable for the floor, for example. The sides and bottom will likely be plywood or rubber conveyer belt with a frame of metal angle or box, whatever I have on hand. Aside from a triangle shape is there anything else I should consider?

Background: We muck our horse stalls into our Kubota L2501. It has the front "bucket" pictured made as a prototype out of a pallet as well as a dumping carry-all I made. The carry-all is about 6'x3'.
Cons:
Needs a higher back/sides for more capacity and to stop muck getting all up in the SSQA plate.
I have to take the wood bucket off my forks every time I need them.
The fork FEL attachment weights 350 lbs alone not to mention the wood, hoping a dedicated design can be lighter allowing for more carrying capacity.
The wood one is falling apart after a year of use as a "prototype".

We generally dump wheelbarrows or muck buckets into the carry-all/front bucket by hand then drive the tractor 1/2 mile down to the manure piles 3x a day. We used to have a trailer we dumped into but it required use of a ramp or lifting muck buckets high and would prefer not to go the route of a dump trailer for safety reasons.

Edit: added a picture of the 3pt dumping carry-all I built. Metal frame with rubber conveyer belt sides/floor/back. First picture is as it is today, last picture is older with a prototype wood box frame but shows how it hinges.

Attachments

• 20200309_055801.jpg
    20200309_055801.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 241
  • 20210317_074510.jpg
    20210317_074510.jpg
    12.8 MB · Views: 238
  • 20200317_123305.jpg
    20200317_123305.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 231
Last edited:
   / Shape/materials for a hand-loaded, non-scooping FEL "bucket"? #2  
Maybe weld a 3 point quick attach adapter to your ssqa plate and use your existing 3 point carry-all but on the front loader, presumably for dumping into a taller pile.

Or you could make another 3 point carry all and use both at the same time, one on front and one on back...then use the loader to dump both if needed, saving a mile of driving on the second trip.

Just an idea.

/ Shape/materials for a hand-loaded, non-scooping FEL "bucket"? #3  
So what's holding you up,someone coming to sort througho your sceap pile and telling you what to use?

?

/ Shape/materials for a hand-loaded, non-scooping FEL "bucket"? #4  
An old 275 gallon heating oil tank comes to mind. Just butcher it to what you've imagined with a few abrasive wheels in a skillsaw. If you have the ability to weld you could make it work (stay put) on your forks.

/ Shape/materials for a hand-loaded, non-scooping FEL "bucket"? #5  
I assume you have the LA525 loader (roughly 1050 lifting capacity). I have no idea how much muck weighs compared to soil but also assume it is comparable. Will unhooking the FEL from forks to new implement be more or less work than just using the forks to pick up a pallet and then strap the box to the forks? Is your plan to use both the front and rear buckets at the same time?

275 or 330 gal IBC tote could be cut to the right shape
very sturdy
plastic liner would allow things to slide out very easily and keep you from overshooting the muck into the ssqa plate
White liner could help keep the goods from getting hotter than necessary if you kept the top in place and cut out the front
Could add a ramp up in the front to assist in unloading (put a piece of wood on the front that is cut out and hinge it, but your current version has a bump up onto the pallet as well.
Tote + liner is maybe 100lbs whole.

/ Shape/materials for a hand-loaded, non-scooping FEL "bucket"? #6  
I realize that this idea goes against every possible rule...Why buy it when you can make it? LOL! But why not look for a forklift garbage dump hopper? They are available from places like Uline. Should be some on the industrial auction sites as well. Probably not worth the new price in your case, but if you can find something at a decent price used, might be worth a look.

/ Shape/materials for a hand-loaded, non-scooping FEL "bucket"? #7  
An old 275 gallon heating oil tank comes to mind. Just butcher it to what you've imagined with a few abrasive wheels in a skillsaw. If you have the ability to weld you could make it work (stay put) on your forks.
I was thinking an IBC tote, that would give a nice no rust/rot surface to muck stalls with. Just build a frame for the QA if you wanted but I'd probably just use forks and a ratchet strap so I could dump and not loose it.

/ Shape/materials for a hand-loaded, non-scooping FEL "bucket"?
Thank you all for your responses. I wanted to get away from the forks both for weight reasons (350 lbs just for the forks, then have to add whatever box) and so that I could keep them free for other tasks.

Here's a picture I took a few days ago, I'm further along now. Found a bunch of metal fencing that was a good size so I started with that. I've got the SSQA plate and it's frame tacked to the "bucket' but still need to finish the final welds. Then I'm going to clad it with rubber belting from a quarry. That's worked very well so far with the rear. It's a bit of a PITA to cut but super durable and I don't have to worry about corrosion.

1619812016811.png

/ Shape/materials for a hand-loaded, non-scooping FEL "bucket"? #9  
Use a metal file cabinet exterior as a liner?

/ Shape/materials for a hand-loaded, non-scooping FEL "bucket"?
Use a metal file cabinet exterior as a liner?
Thin steel will corrode quite quickly with manure - our wheelbarrows rarely last more than a year. I have an abundance of rubber belting from a nearby quarry that we use for stall mats and barn flooring. It's a bit over 3/8" thick and quite heavy but won't ever wear out for our purpose.

I still have a few open tubes to weld shut but after that I can start bolting the rubber belt I've cut out so far then work on fitting the sides - probably going to use a cardboard template to get the curve right. Second pic shows a couple of the rubber pieces flopped in the basket.

1620247288554.png

1620247324560.png