Seeking opinion(s) on this Hydraulic Oil

/ Seeking opinion(s) on this Hydraulic Oil #1  

Straightgrain3016

Silver Member
Tractor
RubberTirePSI65
My 3016 is due for Hydraulic Oil & Filter Change...the dealership is asking > $320.00 for the10 gallons...

The cross-referencing of the ambiguous oil characteristics and lack of industry standards makes my head hurt.

Last time I used OReilly's oil that rides the JD303 standard's "coat tail", but the tractor seemed OK....

Any thoughts on this oil that I bought at Tractor Supply (5 at $15.00/gal) would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: 2012 HST

Attachments

• 1230221405_HDR.jpg
    1230221405_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
   / Seeking opinion(s) on this Hydraulic Oil #2  
I am pretty sure j20a is an obsolete spec in the same family as jd303.

If anything, see what spec/standard specifically need and see if it meets it.

Sadly, tractor hydraulic oil is a pain to shop for

/ Seeking opinion(s) on this Hydraulic Oil #3  
You would need TSC's "premium tractor hydraulic fluid" so that it meets j20c spec.

Alternatively you can get Shell Rotella HD tractor hydraulic and transmission fluid that's currently only about $130 for 5 gallons at TSC and then you don't have to worry about it.

/ Seeking opinion(s) on this Hydraulic Oil #5  
From Tractor supply website: "...Warning: ULTRA J20A Plus Utility Tractor Fluid is primarily designed for use in older equipment manufactured before 1990 or for aging machinery where frequent fluid replacement is required..."

Run away... :)

/ Seeking opinion(s) on this Hydraulic Oil #6  
Definitely want the premium hydraulic fluid in anything that shares the hydraulics with the transmission.

/ Seeking opinion(s) on this Hydraulic Oil #8  
At 500 hour service, did oil sample on TSC premium hydraulic fluid, came back with zero problems. So clean neighbor took it for his equipment.

/ Seeking opinion(s) on this Hydraulic Oil #9