bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Seattle-tour-bus-1909.jpg

Hang on!

Bruce

/ Seeing the sights of Seattle, 1909 #2  
Seems to me that pictures of that era, everyone has on their Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes; men and women nearly all wear hats. The full beards are a thing of the past for most men, and the same for the sidewalk-dragging skirts the ladies wore...a sanitary measure to combat tuberculosis.

/ Seeing the sights of Seattle, 1909 #3  
Seattle used to be a wonderful place to go. Always something for everyone.
Now its enter at your own risk. Glad to have left.

/ Seeing the sights of Seattle, 1909 #4  
Seems to me that pictures of that era, everyone has on their Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes; men and women nearly all wear hats. The full beards are a thing of the past for most men, and the same for the sidewalk-dragging skirts the ladies wore...a sanitary measure to combat tuberculosis.
That sounds interesting. Could you rephrase the tuberculosis thing? I'm not sure i understood it.

/ Seeing the sights of Seattle, 1909 #7  
That sounds interesting. Could you rephrase the tuberculosis thing? I'm not sure i understood it.
The article above explains it pretty well, except that men, especially tobacco chewers, had a habit of spitting, sometimes on the sidewalk. The long skirts simply scooped up the germs and took them home. I can remember old signs, "No spitting on the sidewalk" and references to such prohibitions. The beards of course, were believed to harbor the germs.