Sealed or serviceable bearing: your choice?

/ Sealed or serviceable bearing: your choice? #41  
I haven't needed to replace the ones in my Taiwanese heavy Bridgeport clone yet. These were ABEC 7s in a workbench size mill head. I would have been fine with the ABEC 5s but I got a screaming deal surplus on the 7s which otherwise would likely have cost as much as a new head assembly
You have a Lagun per chance? I realize it's out of context with the thread but it amazes me the cost difference between Class 5 and Class 7 precision bearings. Both my surface grinders came with Class 7 but are basically sealed and running in an oil bath.

/ Sealed or serviceable bearing: your choice? #42  
The BV can run twine or net, just depends on the computer setting and I keep a couple twine balls loaded in it just in case I have net issues. Only thing I don't like about the BV is, like NH, the net roll loads in the front and is a PITA. JD's rear load is a much better design. Other nice thing about the BV is, you can carry 2 additional rolls of net under the side wing. With a NH bailer, you have to buy an additional (expensive) net holder than fits on the back of the tailgate. Net rolls are quite heavy and this old man dreads loading them....

The BV holds 6 twine balls but I only keep 2 in the holder as net is my preferred wrap.

I carry an IR thermometer in the tractor when bailing and check all the bearings and stuff with it in the field. years ago I had a bearing lock up on a NH round bailer and set it on fire. Insurance covered the loss and replaced it but once you set a round bailer on fire, the best thing you can do is unhitch the tractor and let it roast.
Ourn has an air charged water extinguisher on it. It's a big extinguisher, we top it off each time and air it up. Our first baler had burned up and was re done in the past. Our neighbor bought it that way. It had rolled off a levy on the red river while on fire. I'll say right now, that was a good little baler. Some fella in Mississippi has it now. We have a bigger one. Bought it used too.

/ Sealed or serviceable bearing: your choice? #43  
What I'm getting at is that the reason you've never seen a greasable idler or pulley bearing is because it's not necessary. Moss Road

respectfully disagree. again, it's empirical & the luck of the draw given ones own experience. having replaced idler pulleys several times (on zero turn, not tractor, it doesn't have any idler pulleys) leads me to think grease serviceable pulley bearing would outlast sealed (in my circumstance)
btw i do enjoy the different takes on the issue from members as yourself, good discussion
best regards, bb
For myself, I have a 60" mower deck with three spindles and a tensioner pulley. It's 22 years old. I've replaced the spindle bearings (greasable) twice on the center spindle and once on each outer spindle. I'm still on the original tensioner pulley with the sealed bearing.

For that matter, I just bought a shop press several months ago to change the center spindle bearings for the 3rd time, as I lost access to a shop press when I switched employers 6 years ago. I hope to do that yet this evening, as our lawn is getting pretty long and hasn't been cut yet this year.

So I'm getting about 7 years out of the greasable center spindle bearings, 10+ years on the outer spindle bearings, and 22 years out of the sealed tensioner pulley so far.

/ Sealed or serviceable bearing: your choice?
good points. sounds like overall you've had better luck than myself in pulley wear. overall, if that's what i have to address on the machine that i ask a lot of, the price is small. keep doing what you are doing. on this side, i do have extras on hand.
anyone out there have a good alternative to Jacks Small Engine, please let me know, thx in advance

Last edited:
   / Sealed or serviceable bearing: your choice? #45  
I recently purchased a 10-pack of bearings on Amazon for the same price as 2 bearings locally. It's getting tough to find reasonably priced items locally.

/ Sealed or serviceable bearing: your choice? #46  
You have a Lagun per chance? I realize it's out of context with the thread but it amazes me the cost difference between Class 5 and Class 7 precision bearings. Both my surface grinders came with Class 7 but are basically sealed and running in an oil bath.
My knee mill is a Do-All branded heavy variable speed 3hp 9x49 made in Taiwan in the late 80s early 90s -don't remember the company name that actually made it off the top of my head. Spindle runout hovers around 0.001" which is fine for what I do with that machine, so I never looked into bearing replacement

/ Sealed or serviceable bearing: your choice? #47  
good points. sounds like overall you've had better luck than myself in pulley wear. overall, if that's what i have to address on the machine that i ask a lot of, the price is small. keep doing what you are doing. on this side, i do have extras on hand.
anyone out there have a good alternative to Jacks Small Engine, please let me know, thx in advance
I use Bahrns Equipment - Lawn Equipment Parts | Industrial Supply
and Mowpart / Four Brothers Outdoor Power quite bit.
However Jacks is still alive and well for me at https://www.jackssmallengines.com/

Last edited:
   / Sealed or serviceable bearing: your choice?
whoa, thanks, guess i missed something, a lot of parts i usually get at Jacks show up as discontinued. Northern Tool merge? anyway, thx on this

/ Sealed or serviceable bearing: your choice? #49  
My knee mill is a Do-All branded heavy variable speed 3hp 9x49 made in Taiwan in the late 80s early 90s -don't remember the company name that actually made it off the top of my head. Spindle runout hovers around 0.001" which is fine for what I do with that machine, so I never looked into bearing replacement
I'd dread replacing the bearings in either of my surface grinders as both will hold 50 millionths. I'm sure they are super expensive. Bought them both new. I'm adverse to buying surface grinders at machinery auctions because I know they will be beat.

/ Sealed or serviceable bearing: your choice? #50  
I believe it depends on the environment and who is servicing the machine. Not cleaning dirty dusty grease zerks can put contaminates in the bearings. Over greasing to point blow seals out can also allow contaminates in.

I prefer type can grease for most applications

This is the answer right here. There have been several engineering studies done and greaseable assemblies far outlast sealed IF and ONLY IF proper greasing procedure is followed including cleaning fittings. If Joe Lube Tech inserts a bunch of grit along with the grease then the greaseable assemblies fail rapidly. Designing to the lowest common denominator is why you've seen a lot of grease fittings disappear on vehicles and equipment.