Say what!!

/ Say what!! #1  

turnkey4099

Elite Member
-----------------
AP:
Workers face discipline after taking trashed goods.

Up to eight employees at the Billings Regional Landfill (Montana) couild be fired or suspended after...they took home large amounts of electronices, sporting goode, rifles and other items that were supposed to be disposed of after being damaged in a RR acident.

Criminal acts did not occure but removing the items violated city policies.

On July 17 a BNSF RR train derailed...strewing general meerchandise...A week later 11 dump truck loads of unsalvagable items were hauled to the landfill.

A lot of the material was very good stuff - electornics, cameras, sporting goods, clothing, bedding materials" Public Works Director Dave Mumford said. "it's not excusing them by any means but there was a lot of temptation laying there in front of them.

----------------------------

So it is better to clutter up a landfill with good stuff rather than getting some use out of it!!!

Is there some ray gun that removes the common sense from someone elected to office?

Harry K

/ Say what!! #2  
Our local landfill is more than happy to let people take stuff. They always sit aside old bicycles, shovel/rake heads, furniture and any other items that are still in the condition to be used by other people. I talked to a guy who would go to land fill every week and pick up all the old sinks that were sat aside for him and bring them to the scrap yard for money.

/ Say what!! #3  
Doesn't seem to make sense on the face of it. Perhaps the no taking stuff home rule is intended to prevent sickness, liability for injury? Heck, I don't know.

"Non-salvageable" could mean too expensive to hire someone to pick through it, warranty issues, etc. But I thought there are outfits that specialize in re-sale of salvage, why not get a bid on it from one of those, or maybe they did.

Not enough information about the whys and wherefors.

/ Say what!! #4  
"Non-salvageable" could mean too expensive to hire someone to pick through it, warranty issues, etc. But I thought there are outfits that specialize in re-sale of salvage, why not get a bid on it from one of those, or maybe they did.

Maybe it could have something to do with the insurance company. Not enough info.

/ Say what!! #5  
The place I work was dumping some brand new parts and wouldn't allow me to salvage.

That was about 6 months ago, ha ha, today their wishing they saved 'em.

/ Say what!! #6  
Landfills are hazardous places. I have never seen anyone be allowed to root around in a large landfill. Everything is moved and buried using large dozers with cleated wheels. It's likely the employees broke safety rules and that's why they are in trouble.

/ Say what!! #7  
-----------------
AP:
Workers face discipline after taking trashed goods.

Up to eight employees at the Billings Regional Landfill (Montana) couild be fired or suspended after...they took home large amounts of electronices, sporting goode, rifles and other items that were supposed to be disposed of after being damaged in a RR acident.

Criminal acts did not occure but removing the items violated city policies.

On July 17 a BNSF RR train derailed...strewing general meerchandise...A week later 11 dump truck loads of unsalvagable items were hauled to the landfill.

A lot of the material was very good stuff - electornics, cameras, sporting goods, clothing, bedding materials" Public Works Director Dave Mumford said. "it's not excusing them by any means but there was a lot of temptation laying there in front of them.

----------------------------

So it is better to clutter up a landfill with good stuff rather than getting some use out of it!!!

Is there some ray gun that removes the common sense from someone elected to office?

Harry K

I am not saying this is what happened in this particular incident, only stating what has happened in the past. Landfill workers have been and are selling items scrounged from the landfill on some of the very popular web sites. A lot of businesses dispose of new items in landfills when reducing inventory of items that are not/or/has not sold for some period of time. Landfill operators view it as larceny when items are removed from the landfill. They may also consider it as embezzlement when item of value are stolen and then re-sold.

/ Say what!! #8  
When I was in school I worked as maintenance man for a restaurant business. Some restaurants would fire people caught eating unsold food before it was thrown away. Some places (like the place I worked for) had a table in the kitchen and we could eat or take home whatever the chef put there. Sometime I was cleaning after party we catered and brought home few lobsters and other expensive stuff. This policy was great moral booster IMO.
People should use common sense. Many rules are in place to prevent abuse not take them literally in every case. Perhaps the landfill should have policy to salvage anything of value and sold it. In lack of such policy people taking stuff didn't do any damage to the business. I think the management is just jealous and mean.

/ Say what!! #9  
The place I work was dumping some brand new parts and wouldn't allow me to salvage.

That was about 6 months ago, ha ha, today their wishing they saved 'em.

years ago, the computer company I worked for was scrapping a lot of spare parts from their inventory... but they had to go in the dumpster so they could be 'written off'. Well, I dumpster dove & took home a large power supply unit. I never did use it, and about 6 or 8 years later, a customer's system was down for lack of a power supply, and one couldn't be found world-wide in the parts system. The local service manager knew I had this P.S., so I arranged to get it to the customer site, but ended up with nothing more than a letter of commendation from our president for using 'my ingenuity' in getting the system up.
Had I not had the P.S., the company would have had to replace the whole system (we had a maintenance contract on it) with something more current, whilst the customer suffered weeks of downtime.

For all the money we pay those that 'manage' things, they sure don't use much common sense.

Pete

/ Say what!! #10  
When I was a kid in High School I worked at K-Mart, (many centuries ago). I used to watch the security people destroy perfectly usable items before throwing them in the dumpsters. It was a crying shame. They told me they had problems with people dumpster diving and returning the items to get money back from the customer service desk.

All the poor people that go to bed hungry, the homeless shelters that need items as well as food...and here we throw away perfectly good stuff so others can't make use of it. My landfill is one of the ones that won't let you do any picking, either. They could set aside a Sunday each week, (when closed), and sell tickets to allow you to scrounge for the day and make a pile of money for the county. What a shame. You could sign a waiver for liability.

We see pictures of people in China living off whatever they can get from landfills. I guess we are not that poor...yet.

I just hate to see things wasted because I was not brought up like that.