Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #411  
i have had the odd hardwood sawlog that I just couldn’t relegate to firewood and ended up sawing them out. Of course I have no need or plan for them but I enjoy running the mill and sawing logs and they are available just in case😎

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #412  
View attachment 846736
I got about 120 feet out of this hemlock log today and realized three things; that's pushing the limits of the lift capacity of my loader; it's about as much weight as I want to lift with my tractor, at least until I get new tires so that I can load them; and I could really wreck my back again messing with these if I'm not careful.

I then went and grabbed a soft maple log which I had dropped almost two years ago and forgotten about; and sawed about 50 feet from that. I'm not sure what I'll do with the lumber but there are a couple of old tap holes which make it interesting.
Nice. Especially the maple. I’m curious: we have gone to cubic feet for timber cruise measure, appraisal, and selling. Are you using board feet measure in Maine?

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!
Nice. Especially the maple. I’m curious: we have gone to cubic feet for timber cruise measure, appraisal, and selling. Are you using board feet measure in Maine?
We use cords for cruising and planning, but most wood is sold by weight. Higher quality hardwoods are still sold by mbf.
That's the only way I can measure them, it was a tally of what I ended up with.

Of course I have no need or plan for them but I enjoy running the mill and sawing logs
A few years ago somebody wanted a section of rock maple which had been tapped, to make a plaque for a friend.
I cut a tree down and gave him the bottom section, then had the rest sawn out for myself. It's still stored in a dry spot, I should look at doing something with it.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #414  
We use cords for cruising and planning, but most wood is sold by weight. Higher quality hardwoods are still sold by mbf.
That's the only way I can measure them, it was a tally of what I ended up with.

A few years ago somebody wanted a section of rock maple which had been tapped, to make a plaque for a friend.
I cut a tree down and gave him the bottom section, then had the rest sawn out for myself. It's still stored in a dry spot, I should look at doing something with it.
We cruise and sell everything by 100 cubic feet (ccf) but the product class is specified: sawlog or sub-sawlog. We do both tree measurement and scaled sales, but the scaled sales are weight scaled and converted to ccf.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #415