Sawbuck for limb wood

/ Sawbuck for limb wood #1  

turnkey4099

Elite Member
Ibuilt this years ago,put it away and got it out again last year. I hated cutting up stuff smallenough not to need splitting, loading it, unloading it. Now I cut the limbs/small stuff to 8' or less and do the processing at home.

sawbuck3.jpg

Loaded up:

sawbuck-Copy.jpg

Cut up:

sawbuck1.jpg

Folds flat when done:

sawbicl2.jpg

I sized it for a 20" bar - made it 14" between uprights. Should have been 16". Needs to have a _sharp_ chain and a bit of care starting the cut. The top pieces can roll right up and over.

/ Sawbuck for limb wood #2  
Clever - and simple.
I like that it folds up for storage.
-Jim

/ Sawbuck for limb wood #3  
That's a great idea. I have to make one of those.

/ Sawbuck for limb wood #4  
You could make it taller, and then use it to store the wood too. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Sawbuck for limb wood #5  
That is a very good idea :thumbsup:
I wonder if there is a way to make a quick clamping device that holds the logs in -- as you say, my problem with the smaller stuff on a regular sawbuck is that it often "catches"and can fly around. Nice work though -- I'll be making one

/ Sawbuck for limb wood #6  
@turnkey4099 - I'm hoping that the photos are from last winter. Or are you having snow already? I am WAY not mentally ready for snow yet!
Mike

/ Sawbuck for limb wood #7  
I had one very similar, but finally tired of "loading" the thing, enjoyed cutting through the limbs as it went fast and fairly easy, but then tired of unloading it for another reload. Seemed to take too much extra work.

Now I roughly cut all the top wood while in a pile, and then just pick up the pieces and stack in a pallet.
For the logs, I buck then to 90" in the woods, bring them out on forks, and pile them on a slight slope above the splitting area with their ends straight (close to flush). Then mark off one log at 18" lengths and saw them half way through right in the pile. Then roll the log toward the splitter, and saw the rest of the way through. The cut blocks are right near the splitter to roll the rest of the way. Split and stack on a pallet.

/ Sawbuck for limb wood #8  
I wonder if there is a way to make a quick clamping device that holds the logs in -- as you say, my problem with the smaller stuff on a regular sawbuck is that it often "catches"and can fly around. Nice work though -- I'll be making one

I think a chain with a binder thrown around the who kit & kaboodle at the middle would keep everything from moving. An even simpler way would be to tie a rope to the back rail, load up your logs, throw the rope over the pile and tie it off to a hook on the front rail. Quick, cheap and no chance of dulling the saw blade.

/ Sawbuck for limb wood

I dont' find it really necessary but a bungee cord on a couple hooks for each bay would do.

Note that I only have 4 frames. Used to be 6 but a couple got used for other projects over the years. Best procedure on cutting is to start from the far end and work to the front end - stuff seems to stay in place better.

Harry K

/ Sawbuck for limb wood
@turnkey4099 - I'm hoping that the photos are from last winter. Or are you having snow already? I am WAY not mentally ready for snow yet!
Mike

They were 2 or 3 winters ago. At my age time passes way too fast to keep track of :)

Harry K