Satoh s-373D won't shift into gear

/ Satoh s-373D won't shift into gear #1  

quinnquest

Tractor
Mitsubishi S373-Beaver-III
I have a s-373D and all of a sudden it will not shift into any gear. With the engine on and the clutch depressed I hear grinding when I try to shift into a gear and am unable to shift into any of the gears. It is the same sound and feel as with out the clutch depressed. The PTO is functional. I am able to put it into gear with the engine off. If started while in gear the tractor lurches forward. What could be the issue and what is the best way to fix it? Thanks in advance.

/ Satoh s-373D won't shift into gear #2  
I’m no mechanic, but if it was me, I’d try to somehow get it rolling in neutral and then try shifting.

Maybe have a truck pull it slowly with a tow strap.

I’m assuming it’s in neutral already, of course

/ Satoh s-373D won't shift into gear #3  
It sounds like a clutch issue. Depress your clutch pedal checking for free play, you should have about an inch before you start to feel the clutch's resistance. If the pressure is the same all the way check to see if you've dropped part of the clutch linkage. If it feels normal but just has too much play adjust for less play and you should be good.

/ Satoh s-373D won't shift into gear
I tried getting it rolling still grinds. Checked clutch linkage, everything looked intact. Decreased free play with no noticeable change to shifting into gear. Still grinds.

Attachments

• F87AAE50-5600-4AFE-827F-6AAFBE010053.jpeg
    F87AAE50-5600-4AFE-827F-6AAFBE010053.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 72
   / Satoh s-373D won't shift into gear #5  
I'm not familiar with your linkage but if you can reduce the free play to less than an inch of free movement of the pedal and the clutch still seems not to work it's possible the linkage has slipped off somewhere or is broken or bent somewhere along the line - either internal or external. The idea is to learn all you can before splitting the tractor. Of course it's also possible the clutch is worn out but I think it's something else.

/ Satoh s-373D won't shift into gear
I'm not familiar with your linkage but if you can reduce the free play to less than an inch of free movement of the pedal and the clutch still seems not to work it's possible the linkage has slipped off somewhere or is broken or bent somewhere along the line - either internal or external. The idea is to learn all you can before splitting the tractor. Of course it's also possible the clutch is worn out but I think it's something else.
I reduced the free play to nearly nothing and it is still responding the same. Nothing looks broken or bent on the outside of the linkage.

/ Satoh s-373D won't shift into gear #7  
I would suspect the pressure plate is bad. The diaphragm is not being released. The tractor will need to be split to replace the pressure plate.We can supply parts

/ Satoh s-373D won't shift into gear #8  
Could be it dropped a bearing in shifter.