Sales Tax in Illinois

/ Sales Tax in Illinois #1  

Paystar

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
What is the sales tax in Illinois? I was just looking at all the fees to register for the Mecum Gone Farming auction starting tomorrow.

/ Sales Tax in Illinois #2  
   / Sales Tax in Illinois
6.25%

Thanks Hay Dude.

I assume I'd have to pay our Ontario 13% also when I cross back in to Canada? I'm not sure how that works with antique tractors.
I have only ever bought from here in Ontario before.

/ Sales Tax in Illinois #4  
Thanks Hay Dude.

I assume I'd have to pay our Ontario 13% also when I cross back in to Canada? I'm not sure how that works with antique tractors.
I have only ever bought from here in Ontario before.
Get ready. Importing was a real eye opener for me when I pulled a tractor out of Ontario. :oops:
I used Floyd Gibbons for trucking. Nice people.

/ Sales Tax in Illinois
From all I just researched, looks like you pay 7% buyers fee on winning bid, the Illinois sales tax, then the Ontario HST. No duty on an unregulated vehicle (tractor)

Not sure if I'm missing anything else?

/ Sales Tax in Illinois
Get ready. Importing was a real eye opener for me when I pulled a tractor out of Ontario. :oops:
I used Floyd Gibbons for trucking. Nice people.
That's right....I remember you saying that before, that you used Floyd Gibbons.

Ten hour non stop drive to get to the Bend Expo in East Moline for me.

/ Sales Tax in Illinois #7  
I live about 2 hours south of the Quad Cities. I’m not sure how auctions work but we have bought cars in Iowa. We don’t pay the Iowa sales tax but the Illinois sales tax. Some towns in Illinois also add a local sales tax. I live near Macomb Illinois and the sales tax is 9%.

When I was working I did some work construction staking at the bend. It looked terrible then, an old industrial area that had huge piles of concrete all over. Last year we rented a VRBO at an apartment building at the bend and went biking on a long bike trail that’s up on the levee at the bend. It goes something like 40 miles north. It’s a nice area now. A picture off the balcony of our rental.
915ED963-77F4-416C-B60A-8BCB8D0D9323.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Sales Tax in Illinois #8  
Like Dodgeman states the sales tax varies by product and city or county in Illinois. You may not have to pay any sales tax or you could get hit with an unknown amount. I would think taxes would be covered on auction site but not sure.

/ Sales Tax in Illinois #9  
Typically, dealerships that are close to a state border will collect taxes for those out of state customers (it is a courtesy, not a law). Unless the buyer is exempt, they are responsible for paying the tax in their local jurisdiction. There are some states, iirc, that require all customers to pay the sales tax regardless of the residency of the buyer.

Dealing with international sales, I would guess you need to pay both.

/ Sales Tax in Illinois
I live about 2 hours south of the Quad Cities. I’m not sure how auctions work but we have bought cars in Iowa. We don’t pay the Iowa sales tax but the Illinois sales tax. Some towns in Illinois also add a local sales tax. I live near Macomb Illinois and the sales tax is 9%.

When I was working I did some work construction staking at the bend. It looked terrible then, an old industrial area that had huge piles of concrete all over. Last year we rented a VRBO at an apartment building at the bend and went biking on a long bike trail that’s up on the levee at the bend. It goes something like 40 miles north. It’s a nice area now. A picture off the balcony of our rental.
View attachment 790352
Didn't that property used to be the old IH combine factory? I do know it was some kind of farm tractor manufacturing plant before? Pretty sure it was the combine plant?