RTV 400ci hard to crank (compression release?)

/ RTV 400ci hard to crank (compression release?) #1  

S C B

Tractor
Kubota L3400
Hi guys I'm a long time listener, first time caller here. I've got a 2012 Kubota RTV400 (145 hrs)that is getting harder and harder to get started. The starter just won't crank it over. I have checked the battery and even a booster won't help it. I have found that if I remove the spark plug and crank it and then reinstall it, it will turn over just fine. I have also stuck a skinny screwdriver thru the flywheel cover and pryed on the fins to turn it over a little and then it will start. It seems that it has too much compression for the starter. I did some online research for similar problems and found a couple of different similar accounts. They both said a compression release is available for this unit. My local Kubota dealer service manager where I bought it can't find any info about it. Have any of you guys heard of this problem and have any solutions? I love the machine. I bought it because of the reliablity I have had with my tractor (L3400). However it's a real pain when it won't start when I need it.

Last edited:
   / RTV 400ci hard to crank (compression release?)
I think you might be dead on. I can't find any info on that subaru ex42 engine anywhere on the web. Anybody know what the valve clearances should be?

/ RTV 400ci hard to crank (compression release?)
Well I got the valve clearance spec from the dealer, went home and tore down the machine to get to the valve cover and adjusted them to the spec. Put it back together and no difference. It will turn over and start just fine if I bar the engine over a little before cranking it. Are there any Kubota dealers are this forum that could give me some info a possible fix?

/ RTV 400ci hard to crank (compression release?) #5  
Hi,
First time user. I have a Kubota RTV400 that has the exact starting issues you described. It will start perfect or act like the starter is jammed just like you described being on a compression stroke. I will start smoothly probably 1 out of 3 tries. If I keep trying to start it when it acts "jammed" after several tries it will suddenly work perfect and start. I am not sure if the several tries actually rotated the engine past the compression stroke or past a bad spot on the starter. I asked a dealer if he ever saw this issue. He said no but a common was the ground connections from the battery to the frame. This sounded logical thinking a random poor connection might cause this starting issue. I cleaned all the connection with no improvement. I have a volt meter installed and I can see there is a heavy drain on the voltage when this condition happens. I keep checking your post hoping a solution was found. If there is indeed a compression release that is not working I would love to know. I am considering removing the starter and checking it. I had an s10 blazer that had random starting issues. The starter was expensive so I was reluctant to just buy a new one. The starter was filled with a lot of carbon dust. After cleaning out the dust I had no more starting issues. Any thoughts?

/ RTV 400ci hard to crank (compression release?) #6  
Battery/frame/cable ground issue?

/ RTV 400ci hard to crank (compression release?) #7  
I cleaned and checked all the cables. Got a e battery. no difference. I did install a volt meter and id does draw down to 8-9 volts when the starter "jams" making me think the connections are good and the starter is under some strain to turn over the motor.

/ RTV 400ci hard to crank (compression release?) #8  
This is the solution you need to do

Attachments

• RTV400 Decompression Camshaft Installation.pdf
    999.9 KB · Views: 482
   / RTV 400ci hard to crank (compression release?) #9  
Just put a new starter on my 400. Its just a thing with these Kubota's