RK 37HC transmission capacity

/ RK 37HC transmission capacity #1  

DonRybak

Gold Member
Tractor
RK37HC
The manual shows the transmission takes 9.2 gallons when serviced. Any idea if that figure includes the amount required by the FEL or do I need to have a couple quarts extra on hand.
Thanks from miserably hot and humid Florida........Don

/ RK 37HC transmission capacity #2  
If you fill to top of sight glass you should be ok, even tho nothing will hurt it if you're a couple of qts too much.

/ RK 37HC transmission capacity #3  
Gonna end up with 2 5gal buckets anyways. Fill to 9 gallons, run all the hydraulics, fill to top off.

/ RK 37HC transmission capacity
Thanks for the replies...........

Well, today I did a service on the hydraulic/transmission. Back in August I noticed that I couldn't see the fluid level in the sight glass and I was approaching 150 hours. I hadn't really been keeping track of the hydraulic fluid level since the 50 hour service like I do the engine oil. Not knowing if the fluid level was down a gallon or 3 gallons I decided to just do a complete service. After draining the fluid and removing the filter I found that the filter they gave me was the wrong one. The one removed had a hole approximately 5/8" where as the one removed had about a 1" hole. I called RK and found out that the filter was mislabeled as one for the RK37 rather than the RK55. They swapped out the filter for me then after installing it I went to the last step in cleaning the transmission strainer. When I pulled that I don't see where that can strain anything. It looks to like nothing other than a cap with an o-ring to seal it. I was expecting a straining screen of some kind like on old Volkswagons. Am I missing something? After completing all these steps and adding 9 gallons of fluid, the fluid can't be seen in the sight glass. The rep at RK gave me 5 two gallon containers of transmission fluid so now I wondering if I go by the quantity in the manual of 9.2 gallons or add the other gallon and see if it shows in the site glass?

Did other RK37 owners have the same issue with the transmission strainer and the amount of oil added?

Thanks....Don

/ RK 37HC transmission capacity #6  
Don't know about the strainer, but you very well could need more fluid than the manual states as I assume you have a loader, correct? If the manual says the oil should be within the sight window, then you should fill it until it is. Making sure you are on level ground, of course. PTO and bucket lowered to the ground usually.

Thanks midniteoyl. That's kind of what I was thinking but was hoping that some RK37 folks would chime in if they experienced the same thing when they did their service. Today I'll look at the parts break down to see what it shows for the strainer or call the tractor guys at the store where I bought it.

I looked at the parts break down and it just shows the cap as the only thing there. The description used in the parts catalog is suction cup. Beyond me as to what it does or how it could clean anything.

Strainer.PNG

Strainer.PNG

When I bought the supplies the rep gave me five 2 gallons jugs of fluid. I'll add the remaining gallon to see if that brings the level up to the sight glass..........Don

/ RK 37HC transmission capacity #9  
That looks like the strainer cap. Is there not a strainer inside? Few inches long like this (from John Deere):

s-l300.jpg

The link for the photo doesn't open for me. Nope, nothing inside. That's the reason I looked at the parts catalog thinking if there was a screen element suppose to be there it would show that.