Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,681  
@CloverKnollFarms Good luck! A fulfilled retirement generally leads to a longer retirement. Couch surfing not so much...

All the best, Peter

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,682  
You can retire early, only if the wife keeps working.
Is your wife excited about your future plans?

I did this, but the reason it worked for us is that she is younger than me, liked her job and would get a much better retirement package just a few years later.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,683  
Technically, my wife retired last June 1. February, her last employer coaxed her back as a contractor with a promise of a 50% bonus if she lasts a year. (I don't think she will). She didn't like being retired alone. She didn't do much and was unhappy. She will enjoy it more when we are finally out on the property full time. Now that I am done, I'm trying to get all of my health related checkups handled before my coverage ends in September. We will use cheap insurance for the next few years until we have to go to Medicare. The funds come from secure investments that have long histories of paying dividends. We can effectively pay ourselves without touching principal. We will also be free from most debt. Not averse to good debt leverage, just worked out that everything is paid off. We also have the backstop of being able to re-enter the workforce if needed.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,684  
The next generation of farmers will be Hispanic. Anglos won't do the work, and don't develop the skills.
After about 2 generations, sometimes even 1, immigrant's descendants are typically Americanized. The percentage with a work ethic will go down since our culture does not reward hard work enough. Some families more than others.

Last edited:
   / Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,685  
You can retire early, only if the wife keeps working.
Is your wife excited about your future plans?

I did this, but the reason it worked for us is that she is younger than me, liked her job and would get a much better retirement package just a few years later.
It was her idea in fact. I saved a lot for retirement, she is younger and willing to work for a while to supplement insurance

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,688  
I always thought Vanguard was a top-quality outfit, neck and neck with Fidelity but offering slightly less convenience as the cost of slightly lower fees. However -

This is the first time I've read that Vanguard's excellence has been slipping for a while. Inaccurate account statements resulted in a regulatory fine. And the comments following this news article are damning, if the problems these commenters experienced are typical.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,689  
^^^ I have a fair amount of my assets in each of those (Vanguard and Fidelity). I had been hoping to consolidate into one or the other, but I need to see a little more history.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,690  
^^^ I have a fair amount of my assets in each of those (Vanguard and Fidelity). I had been hoping to consolidate into one or the other, but I need to see a little more history.
I suggest consolidate into Fidelity. I've had everything there for 30+ years. I compared them with Vanguard then, and a few times since. Fidelity has had the slight edge, with 24 hour excellent telephone execution and advice, and an office local to me. Vanguard would save a few $/year on slightly lower fees. Fidelity's convenience was worth that difference, for me.

When Dad at 85 finally asked me to clean up his mess of original stock certificates, merger notices, etc that had become too complex to understand (and none of it held at a broker), I persuaded him to open a Fidelity account and we took in boxes of paper. They assembled it all into neat broker-maintained sub-accounts. Also they will 'pull' investments held elsewhere, just ask them to do it. They did this for me to consolidate IRA's from elsewhere. No effort on my part at all.

And Dad guessed right, he said sell everything as soon as he passed. Spring 2000, I was suddenly Executor and I sold immediately, avoiding what would have been a 1/3 decline in the value of his account as well as what would have been his taxable gains if he had sold sooner.

You might research more widely to see if that claim of degraded Vanguard service is valid. I think funds held there are safe but if customer assistance has become erratic, that would be enough for me to switch.