Replacing Vanguard/Daihatsu Engine on Ventrac 4200 VXD

/ Replacing Vanguard/Daihatsu Engine on Ventrac 4200 VXD #1  

tmason

Tractor
JD 2520
I have 1600 hours on my Daihatsu DM950 D Diesel engine. I am starting to have overheating problems and after taking the cooling system apart think the radiator might need to be replaced due to scaling. It is my understanding that parts are expensive and hard to get for this engine. Also,I have read that people are not happy with this engine and that it usually quits around 1900 hours. I love this machine (Ventrac 4200VXD) and I am wondering if anyone has any experience replacing this motor with a Kubota or Yanmar engine? Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

/ Replacing Vanguard/Daihatsu Engine on Ventrac 4200 VXD #2  
What about the engines gives up so early? Did it have a turbo?

Can't you descale the radiator?

Since it is still running, would trading in be an option?

/ Replacing Vanguard/Daihatsu Engine on Ventrac 4200 VXD
Thanks guys! I am going to explore these options. Not a turbo btw.

/ Replacing Vanguard/Daihatsu Engine on Ventrac 4200 VXD #5  
Since you have a non turbo engine you should be ok for a while yet! The issue with replacing the engine with a different brand is that the Diahatsu is the most compact engine for its horsepower available,so when you want to fit a kubota in the same space th biggest that will fit is a 21 hp gas or 16 Hp diesel. You may be able to get a d722(21 hp) or a D902 (25hp) to fit but I believe they are longer and would require pushing the front and belt drive out forward or putting the radiator further towards the articulating area which isn’t possible there’s no room.

/ Replacing Vanguard/Daihatsu Engine on Ventrac 4200 VXD
Thanks. I'm babying it through the season. I'm going to have the radiator recored this winter.

/ Replacing Vanguard/Daihatsu Engine on Ventrac 4200 VXD #7  
Thanks. I'm babying it through the season. I'm going to have the radiator recored this winter.
Any progress to report?