Removing “grass” in sandy soil

/ Removing “grass” in sandy soil #1  

Skramps

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1526
Hey guys. I’m looking to remove what once might have been a lawn for a customer and then prepping the area with dirt for a future lawn. 2+ acres. The lawn is mostly weeds and grasses on top of sandy soil in south Texas.
I’m curious on what implement you think might work best. I have a loader bucket, root grapple, rake, and box blade for implements related to this. I would imagine the rake and grapple would be a good combo for pulling everything out and then boxblading to finish but what are your thoughts on using a rock bucket? I’ve been eyeing one for awhile and thought this might be a good opportunity to buy it. I don’t have experience with one but my thought would be digging and shaking out the sand making it easier to remove the green debris instead of pulling it across the entire field.

Also, should the sandy soil be a concern for a compact tractor on industrial tires? I’d be around 3,200 lbs loaded.

/ Removing “grass” in sandy soil #2  
South texas? That's a pretty long work commute from Maine. Must be paying pretty well eh

People seem to define sand differently across this country. Here in Michigan if we say sandy soil, it is LOOSE, super well draining stuff, easy to ruin. But I've seen people call packed sandstone "sand" also.

If it's really just loose sandy soil, you wont have any problem ripping it to shreds with a CUT. Box blade with rippers as needed would be my choice.

/ Removing “grass” in sandy soil #3  
I rototill an area like you describe. I'd wait untill after a good rain as the ground tills a lot easier. I'd probably till it at least 3 times to get the soil nice and fine. After that I have a homemade box blade with a roller on the rear and I go over the area in several different directions to both level and compact the ground. Then it's time for sod or grass seed and lots of water.

/ Removing “grass” in sandy soil
South texas? That's a pretty long work commute from Maine. Must be paying pretty well eh

People seem to define sand differently across this country. Here in Michigan if we say sandy soil, it is LOOSE, super well draining stuff, easy to ruin. But I've seen people call packed sandstone "sand" also.

If it's really just loose sandy soil, you wont have any problem ripping it to shreds with a CUT. Box blade with rippers as needed would be my choice.

Haha just moved down here and forgot to change my location. It’s fairly loose sand so you’re probably right. Rip it up with the box blade and then carry the material out with the rake.

Update: Customer didn’t like my price. $1,450 to till and remove all debris, spread existing dirt pile, smooth all the dirt out for new lawn.

The price seemed fair to me considering it was nearly 2.5 acres.

/ Removing “grass” in sandy soil #6  
Update: Customer didn’t like my price. $1,450 to till and remove all debris, spread existing dirt pile, smooth all the dirt out for new lawn.

The price seemed fair to me considering it was nearly 2.5 acres.
How many hours did you estimate it would take you? $1450 for two and a half acres of lawn (minus seed and fertilizer) sounds more than fair. What is the hourly going rate for a tractor and operator these days?

How many hours did you estimate it would take you? $1450 for two and a half acres of lawn (minus seed and fertilizer) sounds more than fair. What is the hourly going rate for a tractor and operator these days?

I was assuming 12 hours plus drive time and all that.

From what I’ve heard talking to people $75-175 depending on the type of work.

/ Removing “grass” in sandy soil #8  
I was just wondering. I spent 4 years taking care of and improving a relative's property with the understanding I would get a little something when he sold. My tractor added 700 to 1000hrs (not sure because the hour meter wasn't working for the first three years) plus all the other stuff I did like putting in a paver patio; building stairs and a retaining wall; putting in an acre and a quarter of lawn; building a fire pit; fencing and cross fencing the 7 acres of pasture. clearing out one minor junkpile and one major one; clearing out two large patches of blackberries; leveling out three piles of dirt; building a circular driveway, retaining wall and plantings along that wall. plus, general maintenance, mowing pastures, lawn, etc. When he sold the place after 4 years for 68% more than he paid for it, he said my contributions really didn't add all that much to the value considering that he let me stay there rent free during that time.

I was just wondering. I spent 4 years taking care of and improving a relative's property with the understanding I would get a little something when he sold. My tractor added 700 to 1000hrs (not sure because the hour meter wasn't working for the first three years) plus all the other stuff I did like putting in a paver patio; building stairs and a retaining wall; putting in an acre and a quarter of lawn; building a fire pit; fencing and cross fencing the 7 acres of pasture. clearing out one minor junkpile and one major one; clearing out two large patches of blackberries; leveling out three piles of dirt; building a circular driveway, retaining wall and plantings along that wall. plus, general maintenance, mowing pastures, lawn, etc. When he sold the place after 4 years for 68% more than he paid for it, he said my contributions really didn't add all that much to the value considering that he let me stay there rent free during that time.

That’s a lot of work done for sure. Family affairs are never easy.

/ Removing “grass” in sandy soil #10  
As soon as I started to read this I knew how it was going to end. I've had my own business for many years and generally speaking it's the ones you do the most work for next to nothing for that screw you in the end. I would figure out roughly the value of all that you did (be fair) at contractor's rates, minus the value of the rent and send him an invoice for the difference. You'll probably never see the money but at least your relative will have to live with that value running around in their head for the rest of their life.