Recommended hydraulic oil for Case 580B

/ Recommended hydraulic oil for Case 580B #11  
That explains my confusion; we don't have the same hoe, I'm thinking yours may be newer. I was aware that was possible, but hadn't actually SEEN a different one. I'd talked to one operator with a contractor my company uses a LOT, he was kind of a walking encyclopedia on this type of equipment, and just WATCHING him operate was like a college course for me. I probably learned at least 80% of the "tricks" I know from him...

My hoe's boom lock requires really good hand/eye/timing coordination to get it to work; I'm used to it, probably due to (also) being a multi-instrument musician (piano, full foot pedal organ, drums, bass, guitar, etc) -

The lockout itself is a heavy U shaped pivoting double hook thing, to lock the boom you need to be at operating rpm (because it requires inertia); curl both bucket and dipper, then raise the boom rapidly and then (just as the boom reaches its highest point) push the DOWN lever -

If your timing is right, the boom will have crossed an "over center" point so pushing "down" actually raises the boom further - this causes the two hooks (located INSIDE the main pivot) to latch on a heavy pin.

To RELEASE the boom lock, you "gently" push "down", which in that position actually gives you "up" - then there's a lever (connected to the hook mechanism) you pull back on that lever, then push "up", which (since it's still "over center" actually gives you "down" -

Easy-peasy, right??!? See why I think maybe your hoe is the NEWER version ? :rolleyes:

Thumb - IMO, it's probably cheaper to buy a welder, learn to weld, read at least half of the thumb threads on TBN, and build your own. The difference in cost would likely pay for a pretty decent welder, PLUS you'd have it for other projects. A thumb is one of several projects on my to do list, and I'm not even VAGUELY considering a mechanical one - Here's what convinced me -

Fair warning - listening to me will probably NEVER be free; but it might be interesting 🤓 ... Steve

/ Recommended hydraulic oil for Case 580B #12  
I'm thinking you may need to "re-invent" the connection on your boom lock - if you could get a pic that shows the leak part better, preferably taken from the swing pedal side, it'd help find a fix - Case had a habit of doing short radius bends - I spent 34 years doing industrial instrumentation, and I've never seen a tubing bender that would put that small a radius on that big a tube. I have benders that go from 1/4" up to 5/8, and re-tubing that part would put the tube about an inch closer to the swing pedal than it is now.

If just pushing the tube back in and tightening the tube nut doesn't fix that, my "fix" would be a straight piece of tube (slightly bent at the leak end if necessary) then instead of the "U" bend I'd look for two 90 degree elbows (looks like JIC fittings from the pic) - that would probably put the "straight" part of the tube a little closer to the lock valve than it is now... Steve

/ Recommended hydraulic oil for Case 580B #13  
Took a picture of the shifters on my 580B just for giggles. I have not been able to find any information about this setup.
Very messy looking after oil blowup. I have tried to clean up a bit by pouring hot water on the floor and it washed sand out of all the crannies, can't clean right up until it warms up a bit.

View attachment 791300
One of your water ingress issues is the torn shifter boot. You need to replace that, not only will it allow water in the tranny but it will allow filth inside as well. The shifter goes directly into the top of the transmission.

/ Recommended hydraulic oil for Case 580B
Steve... My hoe has the same type of lock to hold the boom in the upright position as yours, for travelling etc. I have to bring the boom up as far as it will go then push down on the boom lever a bit and then bring it back fast to bring the cylinders far enough back to lock. It has a lever to unlock outside the cab, have to push boom ahead a little to release it.

From my understanding, the lock I show in the picture is actually a dipper lock. It says in a couple of publications that I read that its to allow the dipper to be used as a "crane". Although I have never used it at all for any reason, but it is free and opens and closes fine. The rubber hose slipped off the end, it doesn't appear to be split or have any break in it.

One of your water ingress issues is the torn shifter boot. You need to replace that, not only will it allow water in the tranny but it will allow filth inside as well. The shifter goes directly into the top of the transmission.
5030: Yes I have to fix the shifter boot. The machine has a good cab on it that doesn't leak but the grudd is definatly an issue for sure. I will hunt around and see if I can find one.

/ Recommended hydraulic oil for Case 580B #15  
5030, good call on the boot - mine's getting a bit "long on the tooth" too, my cab's likely the reason I've gotten away with it too...

Dave, the "crane" comment dredged up a long-forgotten option I don't have - but I'm having problems with a rubber hose just "slipping off" of a connection that almost HAS to be a pressurized line??!? Are you sure that hose didn't slip out of a CRIMPED connection?

I've used my hoe as a crane a couple times, back when ALL the hoses didn't leak - but I've spent too long in maintenance environments to EVER put any body parts where a failure could get me in trouble - besides, there are too many ways to deprive me of enjoying about $30k in musical instruments and at least that much in tools... Steve

I know strange setup with rubber hose and clamps but that's how it is. I assume its under pressure but not as much as other connections. There was a lot when it came off, that's why I figure maybe froze a bit and cause more pressure than the connection was designed for. Have a look at the photo from a parts manual for the 580B, it show just a rubber hose with hose clamp connections at each end. I think the rubber hose is some sort of bypass...

Boom Lockout diagram.jpg

/ Recommended hydraulic oil for Case 580B #17  
Yeah, must be a tank return; pretty much ALL of my return lines are done that way. That tends to support your theory about freeze plug causing the oil bath.

Seeing where that option gets its feed, I'm thinking that our main control bodies are the same; seems like I had a plug where your part#29 ties in... Steve

Haven't had a chance to try and fix it yet. Had to go out of town for a day and now it's snowing and blowing like crazy for the next couple of days then a bunch of rain in the forecast. Gotta love the end of March first of April...