Rear Weight for 4WD agri Tractors.

/ Rear Weight for 4WD agri Tractors. #1  

Tony H

Platinum Member
Tractor
JCB MIDI CX
How much counter weight on the 3 pt hitch do you guys use for snow plowing?
I have a 3000 series Kubota.. Same basic size as te 3000 and 4000 John Deere tractors.

It's got chains and a 6 foot plow. Still lose traction mid winter when snow has piled and has made a nice slippery base under the tires.
Do you folks add 200 lbs or more like 500 and up?

/ Rear Weight for 4WD agri Tractors. #2  
On my L3130 Kubota;I had the tires loaded,maybe gained 600lbs and would also mount my rear blade ,maybe another 200lbs at most.I also had AG(R1) tires which helps.If you have R4's you may need to chain the rears.Chains will tear up paved lots.

/ Rear Weight for 4WD agri Tractors. #3  
Do you have the BH,if so leave it on.

/ Rear Weight for 4WD agri Tractors. #4  
I'm assuming you mean a front mounted plow?? I don't have one, but I'd guess you'd want the same amount of counterweight on the back as you've added to the front with the plow to regain tractor balance?? In the process you'll gain traction. Also heard one guy say He picks up the plow slightly to regain traction in certain conditions.

/ Rear Weight for 4WD agri Tractors. #5  
My rear R4's are loaded plus heavy duty scraper blade,so far no chains needed.

/ Rear Weight for 4WD agri Tractors.
Loaded tires seems to be the favorite here.. OK that's a lot of added weight. The tractor has R4 style tires. Stone driveway so Chains are no issue.
I guess for giggles I will put back on the Rototiller, That's a heavy bugger. I take it off because I hate having it hang out that far behind me when I'm dancing around obstacles.

Attachments

• Jason Plowingweb1.jpg
    Jason Plowingweb1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 157
   / Rear Weight for 4WD agri Tractors. #7  
Looks like chain on right front tire?
Maybe lighter snow load pushing.

/ Rear Weight for 4WD agri Tractors. #8  
I have my carry all box on the back, and it weighs about 400 pounds empty. It is perfect for plowing 1/2 of roadway. I have R1 tires (loaded) which I am really glad I got, and it does not slip at all. I am plowing a full blade with snow coming over the top. I would use 500 pounds and skip the chains.carryall2 004.JPG

/ Rear Weight for 4WD agri Tractors.
Thanks Motocephalic.. I can assume you plow in Maine, not florida : )

Thomas, yes, I already have chains on the front. The snow load in the Pic was from two years ago. I woke up to 3+ feet on the ground. I was talking the top layer off first in that pick
Not to confuse anyone....I'm asking about my Kubota, L3540 not the JCB in my profile.

/ Rear Weight for 4WD agri Tractors. #10  
This is my first Winter back in 25 years. It's an adjustment, but each place has its qualities.

Thanks Motocephalic.. I can assume you plow in Maine, not florida : )