Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,181  
But it almost always devolves to a fight,

What about the loss of coal revenue for railroads devolves into a fight?

and the OP was kinda figuring it was more for pictures and movies.

As mentioned, I'm guilty of drift as well.

I have RR experience when I worked for about 5 different car repair shops over the years as a welder. (ak carmen) This thread is about anything associated with RR's.

I think you are misrepresenting the OP.
He clearly states ”this thread is about anything associated with RR’s”

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,182  
What about the loss of coal revenue for railroads devolves into a fight?

I think you are misrepresenting the OP.
He clearly states ”this thread is about anything associated with RR’s”
I've had discussions with the OP and I'm fairly certain he could do without the arguments. ;)

Anywho... now we're arguing about not arguing.

Have a good evening.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,183  
Thats a huge loss.
I bet NG and the rails & rail gear that carry it are next in the environmentalists crosshairs.
First coal, then NG.
Natural Gas for sure as bans on new installs already reality.

I find interesting that back in the Carter years fireplace inserts came with tax credits as wood is America's Natural Renewable Resource.

Fast forward and folks received Tax Credits for pulling wood burners and replacing with Clean Natural Gas.

Now no need for credits... simply curtail wood use and ban wood or gas new installs and pay a bounty from Air District to remove.

Sure a lot of interest on law makers part over warmth from fire!

As for tracks lots of pressure to pull tracks both spur and reroute mainlines.

RR have gone to extra measures with pedestrian gates and new fences because death by train is a thing... sometime on purpose and sometimes walking with earbuds...

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,184  
Actually, I’m not arguing about anything. I just figured after looking at the 300th railcar picutre, it was time to discuss other aspects of rail roads, but ok, we will keep it to pictures, just cause you say so :rolleyes:

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #3,185  
With the ban on older locomotives coming this could be the last time to see Big Boy in California...

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,187  
Maybe they'll just push it, cold?
A lot to push but part of the draw is rolling stock under steam.

Read about one of the steam trains touring the country... it might have been the bicentennial?

Once the logistics of water was addressed the next was adding modern locomotives for generation and/or assist.

Thing is the steam locomotive surprised many by not needing any assist... steam just that powerful and the weight optimizes traction...

The age of steam...

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,188  
A lot to push but part of the draw is rolling stock under steam.

Read about one of the steam trains touring the country... it might have been the bicentennial?

The age of steam...
In '75 and '76 they had the Freedom Train touring the country. It was a Northern type if I remember correctly. I got to see it in Indiana and in Florida. I used to have a couple of smashed out pennies I put on the track for it to run over, but I lost them on the move when we built this house.

The 1975 - 1976 American Freedom Train

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,189  

Once the logistics of water was addressed the next was adding modern locomotives for generation and/or assist.

Thing is the steam locomotive surprised many by not needing any assist... steam just that powerful and the weight optimizes traction...
I've read the diesels that accompany these exhibition trains aren't needed for horsepower.

The helper diesels are needed for modern requirements re signalling, electricity generation that matches passenger cars behind, (there are several 'standards') and most important, engine braking and reliable air for train braking.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #3,190  
In '75 and '76 they had the Freedom Train touring the country. It was a Northern type if I remember correctly. I got to see it in Indiana and in Florida. I used to have a couple of smashed out pennies I put on the track for it to run over, but I lost them on the move when we built this house.

The 1975 - 1976 American Freedom Train
Thats really cool.